Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem accessing the saved MYSQL database.

Posted by 40999327 - Niel 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Problem accessing the saved MYSQL database.
July 03, 2013 07:47PM
After working on the MySql section of homeandlearn.co.uk (see URL below) I am having trouble accessing the so-called Wamp folder on my hard drive where my databases are stored.. I couldn't find any of my created databases there. I actually do use WAMP instead of EasyPHP or XAMPP (WAMP is also very easy to use). But that shouldnt make a difference to accessing the exact folder where my databases are stored.

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/php/php12p4.html
Quoted from homeandlearn.co.uk: "And that's it - you now have a database to work with. To see where it has been saved, navigate to your Wamp folder on your hard drive. Double click the folder called bin\mysql\mysqlx.x.x. Inside this folder will be one called data. This is where all of your databases are stored .."
Mac
Re: Problem accessing the saved MYSQL database.
July 04, 2013 03:29PM
Are the db's accessible via phpmyadmin?
July 04, 2013 11:45PM
Yes, the database definitely is accessible via PHPMyAdmin: (Database name: addressbook, containing a table: tbl_address_book)
Mac
July 05, 2013 09:28AM
Strange. That is the correct path. DO a search forMYD ,MYI and .frm files
However, you do not need to access th files directly. If you want to export, you can export and import with phpmyadmin
July 08, 2013 04:09AM
I tried importing directly with PHPMyAdmin - but it seems I must then import a .sql file as opposed to the other formats (.MYI, .frm, .MYD ), and a .sql file is unavailable in this case.
I will keep on trying to find a way.
Mac
July 08, 2013 09:37AM
Create the db manually using phpmyadmin. It can then be exported as a sql file if you have a need to do so.
July 18, 2013 01:23PM
In the Forum tutorial at the Home and Learn website, there are too many database tables to be able to create them all manually. I am thinking of buying a cheap backup computer to test the
copying of the database folders from Home and Learn to my MySql folder. I don't know if the problem is because of my computer or why I can't follow Home and learn's instructions on copying files into my MySQL.
If any of the other students have managed to copy a database successfully (as instructed by Home And Learn), please let me know, as I can't follow the Forum tutorial on Home And Learn if I can't copy their database.
Mac
July 18, 2013 04:54PM
Why use a back-up computer? Are you using EasyPHP, in which case the route is different? Also, at some stage you are going to have to create DB's through phpmyadmin, so it is a learning experience.
July 18, 2013 04:58PM
I'm using WAMP. Though the route given is not working on my computer. I find it easy to create DB's through phpmyadmin.. But copying a DB folder to my WAMP folder, is not working at all for me (the way it is demonstrated on home and learn).. There may be something wrong with my installation, that is why I want to try the same procedure on a friend's computer, or otherwise, purchase a backup computer.
avatar Re: Problem accessing the saved MYSQL database.
July 20, 2013 04:12PM
mySql files should be in this directory -

.???...\WampServer\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.53\data

(Your mySql version number may vary)

You can change the location of the data directory using the datadir setting in my.cnf.
July 20, 2013 06:12PM
Thanks, can you please give me the location of the my.cnf file?
As I cannot immediately find the file in my Wamp directory.
avatar Re: Problem accessing the saved MYSQL database.
July 20, 2013 08:19PM
It is the mySql configuration file, also my.ini in some versions.

You can access it directly from the WAMP icon in the taskbar. Just click on the WAMP icon and then "Config files" / my.ini (or my.cnf)
July 21, 2013 09:27PM
Thanks, the problem was solved - it works on my new desktop computer, which I bought yesterday after I've been wanting to purchase one the last 2 months for whenever my laptop fails. (Bought at VivaCafe PC's in Bellville - they took my specs, built the PC in 45 minutes and even included my old hard disk in my new PC.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login