Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PHP ASS1

Posted by dblewitt 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
PHP ASS1
July 02, 2013 08:52PM
First Post ? : ) smile

This is my second attempt , so starting early and working harder !!

Prof. Van der Merwe, can I resubmit my previous Ass 1 from Sem 1 ? Or is that not preferred ?

I am also not able to change my username to include my student number on the forums ? and have problems recreating as I am using the same email address ?

From Tut 101 - ("Click on this link, and register as a user. Use your student number as the first part of your Username, and then add a second part (your name or a nickname), e.g. 12345678 – Coder."winking smiley

Thanks
Mac
Re: PHP ASS1
July 04, 2013 03:31PM
No, you are stuck with this username - you will have to use another email to register a new account. If you are a supp student, then it is just the portfolio that needs to be submitted.
July 04, 2013 08:08PM
Ok , so I will keep this username if that's fine with you.

I had to reregister, so I am sure I have to resubmit assignment 1.

Thanks
Mac
July 05, 2013 09:30AM
Yes, reregister is assig 1 as well.
July 05, 2013 10:39AM
It will also be my second attempt. I hope I pass it this time. Thing is at the university of the free state I was using a different language not PHP. This time I'll put all my effort than I did last semester. I guess I did not understand what I was doing. So Mac you'll be seeing a lot of me this semester. I seriously need to graduate.
Mac
July 05, 2013 05:22PM
That is what this forum is for - to help you pass PHP, thereby providing you with the skills to apply for PHP programming jobs. Of course you will need more experience, but this is a solid start. For this reason, I do not accept half-baked efforts. Consider the options - by using the forum you can pass before you hand in. Many students choose to pass at all cost (borrowing complete code from fellow students) in the tragic belief that a piece of paper will secure them a job.
July 09, 2013 07:34AM
Semi thread hijack.

I have previous PHP work experience, although I'll admit it's been about 6 years since I've used it last. So since PHP isn't "new" to me I've already started with assignment 1 and just need to clarify one question for now. In the assignment brief it states:

This assignment will consist of a single web page (index.php) on your homepage on freewebhostingarea (or a server of your choice) that is completely programmed in the PHP language (that is, you must use PHP to generate the page in its entirety).

Based on this I take it that instead of having code like this:

Language: HTML
<html> <head> <title>PHP Test</title> </head> <body> <?php code to create page goes here ?> </body> </html>

In this instance we have to start/end the file with the php markup:

Language: PHP
<?php code to create page goes here ?>

Just need to confirm that I'm interpreting this one point correctly?
Mac
July 09, 2013 07:40AM
Yes, HTML code should also be PHP-based
July 09, 2013 09:06PM
Start Early and Work Hard !grinning smiley

July 10, 2013 12:41PM
Ok, so aside from sorting out where to host the page, and some minor tweaking and the JS link to the source text file I'm pretty much done with assignment 1.

Just need to confirm if the layout I used is acceptable:

Also, with regards to the two timezone fields, which format is preferable from the above example? Africa/Johannesburg or SAST, both, or can I leave it as is?
Mac
July 10, 2013 01:10PM
As is is OK. However.. I am removing upr table because I want students to READ specifications and not look at a sample.
July 10, 2013 06:15PM
Ok, ran into a bit of a snag with the timezones after uploading the file to a server.

Running it on the local web server on my PC created the appearance that the server and local timezone values were correct, however, both were actually referring to the server timezone. Now this makes sense since php runs server side. I've had a look at the textbook, the homeandlearn docs and the man pages on the php.net website and I don't really see a way to get the client side timezone unless you use a client side scripting language like JS, or the easy way would be to simply explicitly specify the local timezone value in the index.php file.
July 10, 2013 07:37PM
WOW. Students are already discussing assignments and I only registered yesterday. Hope I am not behind
July 11, 2013 06:29AM
30627303 Naaz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW. Students are already discussing assignments
> and I only registered yesterday. Hope I am not
> behind

Don't panic just yet. I'm focussing on this module fist since I have some prior PHP experience. So if I work on this assignment now it will allow me to then focus on the other three subjects I have this semester for a bit before I start work on the exam project.
July 23, 2013 12:28PM
Hi everyone

It's seems like everyone is enjoying the module.
Pls help me, I can't even open a local host on my server i dont know if I installed my Xampp well coz MySQL and Apache are running and the status is OK.
Easy PHP is on and off i can't use it.
I really need help Pls!
Mac
July 23, 2013 03:29PM
It is impossible to help because you do not state what is happening or not happening when you type localhost in your browser...
July 24, 2013 05:21AM
I'm a bit confused, do you need to use both Easy PHP and Xampp at the same time or one that suite you best? which one is best recommended to use? confused smiley just need some clarification on how to use my new "friend" php.
July 24, 2013 07:33AM
Taona Kays Wrote:
> I'm a bit confused, do you need to use both Easy
> PHP and Xampp at the same time or one that suite
> you best? which one is best recommended to use? confused smiley
> just need some clarification on how to use my new
> "friend" php.

You can use either one or the other. Personally I found Easy PHP very easy to install following the Readme and Installation instructions. Haven't tried xampp myself so I won't be able to comment on it's ease of installation or use.
Mac
July 24, 2013 08:39AM
Do not install both. It will create problems in most cases.
July 24, 2013 10:59AM
I first installed xammp and later easyphp. xampp is running well, both apache and mysql are running but i want to use easyphp and m getting error message saying "unexpected end of apache... see log file" "unexpected end of mysql.... see log file".
July 24, 2013 01:38PM
Taona Kays Wrote:
> I first installed xammp and later easyphp. xampp
> is running well, both apache and mysql are running
> but i want to use easyphp and m getting error
> message saying "unexpected end of apache... see
> log file" "unexpected end of mysql.... see log
> file".

As mac pointed out, you shouldn't really be running both xampp and EasyPHP at the same time. It might be a bit painful, but if you really want to switch to EasyPHP you should try uninstalling both EasyPHP and xampp, and then re-install just EasyPHP.
July 24, 2013 04:30PM
Hi mac

I'm doing great now it was a confusion of installing both Xampp and Easy php.
Now I'm using EasyPHP only and everything is okay.
I can see my script from sever and my page on the browser isn't it fantastic?
I am so loving the module so far and I'm starting my Assignment soon hope i won't be late!
July 25, 2013 04:17AM
Problem solved spinning smiley sticking its tongue out smiling bouncing smiley!!!!!, Unexpected end of MySql… See log file?
This is a mySQL error message and is actually a file permission problem.

So I changed the user permission for the EasyPHP directory and mySQL correctly started.

To set your permissions this is what you do :

1. Open and view Drive C using the windows explorer, then double click “Program Files” assuming that you installed EasyPHP in that folder.
2. Right click on the folder where you installed EasyPHP then click “Properties“.
3. On “Security” tab click “Edit…” button.
4. Select the user that you are currently using. This will probably be something like “Users (computer name)”
5. Under “Permissions for Users” box, tick “Full control” on “Allow” column.
6. And then click “OK” button to apply the changes.

Now you should be able to start mySQL server by clicking “mySQL” button on EasyPHP dialog and then click “Start“. Or shut down EasyPHP and restart it again.

Hopefully that will solve issues when working with Windows 7 and EasyPHP.

Ref: http://www.withinweb.com/info/2010/07/04/easyphp-on-windows-7-3/
July 27, 2013 07:15PM
My JavaScript opens a new window displaying text file but it is a new tab (I use _blank) and the size and other variables I set are ignored. :-( Using Internet Explorer 10
July 27, 2013 07:22PM
I just want to say I been studying on and off thru Unisa since the 1990's and this is the best course by far for two reasons:
1. You are tested on ability to produce working code, not writing handwritten exams (for programming languages)
2. Support and Input from lecturer/tutors.

I have also done some courses thru MIT's online site and I must say their courses are also well done because of good support and interaction and also detailed notes and video lectures. I think UNISA especially should be moving to the forefront of teaching via Internet.

So a big thanks to you Mac.

Kind Regards
Wynand CJ Hart
Old Man on the Block

Kind Regards/Vriendelike Groete
Wynand CJ Hart
"I still remember when there was no Microsoft or Linux."
Mac
July 29, 2013 08:10AM
Thank you Wynand, such feedback is always appreciated!

Unfortunately I am scrapping portfolios from next year sad smiley There are too many students who plagiarize code , amongst many other issues. lam still busy with late marks as I write this sad smiley Then there are students who argue and abuse me when they do not pass. According to them I am the worst lecturer in the world....

So from next year there will be two assignments (multiple choice to ensure you work through the material), apps you have to code (not marked, but supported through the forum) and an exam, 70% which will be based on the apps you have coded. Sad, but unfortunately no other option sad smiley
August 12, 2013 03:27PM
Hi
I agree. What was the outcome of this as I used the PHP timezone function to obtain the server timezone, then i set the timezone to africa and called the function again.
i wonder if that was the correct way to do it?
Mac
August 12, 2013 03:43PM
That is the correct
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login