Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A big thank you!

Posted by Duncan89 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
September 17, 2013 09:10PM
I'm not sure if this appropriate to put on these forums, but I just want to say a huge thank you for this module. Haven't really used the forums as I tend to appreciate working things out on my own, feeling guilty :$.

So as for my big thank you, ever since I started studying PHP at the beginning of this semester I delved into it with passion. As it happens, at work I get a bit of time to do research and work on my individual work projects. That's where PHP comes in... so I started working on a project for our Helpdesk and Despatch sections (I work for the Cape Medical Depot - we provide pharmaceuticals to the entire Western Cape government pharmacies - as a system controller) and I recently deployed my self built system.

Unfortunately, we have been limited to many paper based manual processes because, believe it or not, we don't have a budget for implementing new systems and hiring developers. Anyway, point being that I managed to put a small system together for logging queries, updating them, closing them as well as a user authentication system.... I even started adding reports functionality to export statistics on the queries (google is the best!!) on top of that creating my own framework for the site for future additional modules which I will be working on (management is already adding more work to my plate for this tongue sticking out smiley) as well as delving into backups of the database and loads of testing to backup and restore. Needless to say, my boss and the rest of my colleagues are majorly happy with my work.

So as I was saying, a big thank you to this module, it really put me in the right direction! Absolutely ready for the 3rd level PHP course as I've gone through the book a few times (my best friend at work) as well as countless google searches tongue sticking out smiley.

The best advice I can give to everyone is for you to try be passionate about the coding, it really will take you far!
Mac
Re: A big thank you!
September 18, 2013 07:19AM
> The best advice I can give to everyone is for you to try be passionate about the coding, it really will take you far!

Yes yes yes!
Mac
September 18, 2013 02:39PM
I feel I need to add to your post now that I have more time before the next meeting smiling smiley . It is very gratifying when students confirm what we are saying - embrace PHP and it will take you far! Of course, not everyone wants to be programmers, but to focus on passing the module at all cost without understanding what you are doing is foolish. No company will employ you on your pass-mark achieved - they want to know" what do you really know and what can/you have done? This saddens me sad smiley

So Duncan98, you will go far with an attitude like yours. As you have already experienced , it is hugely gratifying to write an app that "makes things better". The nice thing is that you start thinking "differently" about how things are implemented, and this is of value even outside a programming environment.
September 19, 2013 08:55AM
Your response is much appreciated.

This is definitely the direction I am heading - development. I also know exactly what you mean in regards to starting to think differently. I am definitely always looking at how to make use of better algorithms to simplify and lessen the code whilst writing complete and concise code. This module has really helped me for the better. I can only hope that others, taking part in this module, feel the same way. What is the point of trying to study something you're not actually interested in? Sometimes all you need is to try and the rest just happens...
September 19, 2013 12:09PM
Wow Guys! You really inspire me it's nice to share great news like this.

I like this module even though I struggle there and there but I've learned to do better on my own. I hoping to do as much as you do Duncan89.
Knowing that PHP can take me far as Duncan89 mentioned and I salute you Mac for strategy you use to help as learn this module!
I won't lie at first I thought it's bad but now I understand and it's rewarding to do things on my own, because I had to push myself harder to get great rewards.

The Question is when someone is doing great job while learning, What am I getting from learning this Module as well?

Big up to PHP and Hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login