Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Laptop

Posted by 78185106 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
New Laptop
August 12, 2013 07:25PM
Got a new laptop running Win8-64bit. have to re install everything....grrrr... will be up and running soon... smiling smiley AWESOME Laptop thow
Re: New Laptop
August 12, 2013 10:47PM
Hi there,

I'm also one of the few running Windows 8.Takes some getting used to! I found Keep it Simple is the first thing Microsoft threw out the window!
You might find that Internet Explorer 10 and the PHP software don't like each other very much. I downloaded Google Chrome and use Firefox for the
course. I got the advise from the Easyphp website and now everything works well. The Internet Explorer problem might be sorted by now but I doubt it.

Have fun, CharlesU
August 12, 2013 11:44PM
Yeah i must say IE is crappy. I am also using Chrome. Getting use to the whole new win8!! Like the whole new approach of Mr Bill Gatesspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Thanks Charles
August 13, 2013 10:40AM
Hi ,

Don't activate your free trial of the new Norton on Windows 8. It is not compatible with Apache. If you have already done so,
don't uninstall it, just disable it then enable Windows Defender until you can find a suitable alternative to Norton. The
free version of AVG looks like a good place to start.

Keep setting new System Restore Points as you go along. Make sure all your downloaded open source software is copied
onto a seperate storage device. Widows refresh tells you it won't alter your file's, then when finished doing its thing it opens
a folder and proudly presents you with a list of all the open source Apps it's just removed.

Skype and all those new Microsoft Apps can give hassles. I've uninstalled them for the duration of the course.

Be prepared for huge updates for Windows 8. My first update over took up over 750 meg. Now HP " Hopeless Product",
wants over a Gig to fix everything.

I'm probably telling this to a Computer Guru that knows all this stuff . I'm a novice!, learning fast the expensive way!
Hope this info might help other newbie's like myself, who are thinking of going over to Windows 8.

Regards C
August 13, 2013 01:01PM
Hey Charles.

Thanks for the advice. My system works everything installed correctly. Its not much Norton what is the the problem its Skype, Apache and Skype want to use the same port 80.

OH I am far from a Computer Guru smiling smiley I wish I was!!!

Regards
Willem
Mac
August 13, 2013 01:58PM
Norton takes over your computer and makes it slow. No one buys it anymore so they bundle it with Windows and hope someone activates it. It may block requests from Apache, but it is a guess since I last used it 20 years ago smiling smiley
August 13, 2013 02:08PM
My apology if it's off topic but while we are on bad software. Have any of you tried to remove Mcafee from your system? Do yourself a favour and google the founders John Mcafee's latest video smile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login