Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Regarding if you should sent a database/ SQL dump with your portfolio

Posted by 77911997 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Regarding if you should sent a database/ SQL dump with your portfolio
May 22, 2013 09:11AM
Hi Mac

Just a quick question, it keeps coming up in the forum but no responses on it.

I know you said you will use your own SQL dump/database. but regarding the question on page 15 of a tutorial letter: I quote…

“You then need to add a database user to the table user in the mysql database in phpMyAdmin, giving him certain rights (e.g. add, edit, delete etc), and then link this user to your registration database, in the db table. This user and password is defined in the config file. Google for help on adding database users via phpmyadmin. ”

How are you going to know if we followed this instruction?

Most importantly, my system wont work if you do not have a user table populated with a username and a password. You cannot view any of my pages unless you are logged in.

Can I send the users table SQL Dump, so that the system can run properly?

Response from Mac:

I have a user in the user table in the mysql database. This user is linked to the registration database in the db table.  

You cannot create your own user table database – you must use the mysql database, which all mysql installations have.

I change the username and password in your config file to my one.

Re: Regarding if you should sent a database/ SQL dump with your portfolio
May 22, 2013 09:26AM
So I think the short answer is that we dont use a user table to allow/deny any access.

I understood pg15 to be this: -
In your mySQL DB you have a table called "users".
In the "users" table you should specify a username and password that has the relevant access to the "registrations" DB (I left mine as default for simplicity sake on my side as Mac will change it to his details).

Obviously the user you have created would be the details in your config.php file - all Mac has to do is change that for everything to work on his side.

I have a "Login" button but not linked to any DB or table, it is just so that you have to click on "Login" to continue.

I hope this helps.

Glen
May 22, 2013 10:42AM
hang-on page 15 is not talking about login page? it has more to do with your config file:

technically this:

Language: PHP
$host="127.0.0.1"; $username=" "; //assign a username $password=""; // assign a password $db_name="registration";
and Mac will change that to suit what ever username and password he has on hi database.

it has nothing to do with login page? please tell me I finally have a light bulb moment - im dying of load shedding here LOL.

I would have submit my portfolio if I was sure I got this correct.
May 22, 2013 11:50AM
correct

Technically there is no login for the pages we submit

Glen
May 22, 2013 12:34PM
that makes sense, thank you
May 22, 2013 07:55PM
in an attempt to create a user in MySQL I have managed to crash phpmyadmin.

#1045 - Access denied for user ';root';@';localhost'; (using password: NO) phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

before that I was getting
#1133 - Can';t find any matching row in the user table

I don't know what to do. I think I should just uninstall xampp. but im scared I will loos all my data on tables.
May 22, 2013 08:20PM
xampp uninstalled - and poof my portfolio gone. that was clever move. that God for a backup.
May 22, 2013 09:56PM
@77911997 I THINK this xampp should have a backup in case you unstall it...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login