Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I get away with using an alternative PHP book?

Posted by 77911997 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Can I get away with using an alternative PHP book?
February 18, 2013 12:40PM
Hi. Last year I bought an online version of a PHP book call - Build your own database driven web site using PHP & MySQL, 4th edition by Kevin Yank. I figure i can save by using this book for the course instead of buying a recommended book. It is very simple and easy to understand.
Mac
Re: Can I get away with using an alternative PHP book?
February 18, 2013 03:05PM
The prescribed handbook is not forced on you. However, do bear in mind that it is prescribed because we (well, me) persist with this book because it really explains the fundamentals best. This is based on many years PHP programming experience. You need to trust me. That said, if you are a little bit ahead in PHP, there are other books.... your call. But I download/order and evaluate many PHP books - and I have to prescribe a book to over 1000 students across many PHP courses smiling smiley
February 18, 2013 04:00PM
cool. thank you
avatar Re: Can I get away with using an alternative PHP book?
February 18, 2013 09:09PM
77911997, sorry for hijacking your thread but I don't see the use starting another thread regarding the prescribed handbook.

Is it possible to tell me how different your prescribed book differs from PHP5 Unleashed by John Coggeshall is? I've already worked half way through the book and would hate to order a new book if the one I currently have will suffice.

____________________________________________Nazi Coder____________________________________________

I'm not antisocial, I'm just not user friendly

"It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature!" ~ some unknown Microsoft developer
February 19, 2013 08:54AM
Got my book at last from Kalahari!! I love the way that they start off. Right into the coding and no waste of time on niceties!!! This is a really good book!!
March 06, 2013 12:36PM
Eventually got the book from Van Schaik the last one in stock from a branch in JHB, it is not readily available.
Good luck to myself!
Mac
March 06, 2013 02:35PM
I review MANY PHP handbooks - this one is the best one for starters. Really. It just explains it so well.
May 06, 2013 11:31PM
Hi Mac. I must say the prescribed book Beginning PHP5 is one of the "better" books I have read so far and I will defiantly be coming back to this book long after this course. What other "more advance" material beyond this current books in PHP and MySQL do you also recommend ? It is so difficult to find good material and real word examples as the market is flooded with everyone that wants to explain PHP in their own way and in the end it just creates more confusion like I had to endure the last year.

Student Number: 78042879 (Part Time Courses)
May 07, 2013 08:55AM
Agree!! This is really a great book. I have SAMS Teach Yourself PHP, MYSQL and Apache, but it doesn't come near this book!!

35316462_Antondev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Mac. I must say the prescribed book Beginning
> PHP5 is one of the "better" books I have read so
> far and I will defiantly be coming back to this
> book long after this course. What other "more
> advance" material beyond this current books in PHP
> and MySQL do you also recommend ? It is so
> difficult to find good material and real word
> examples as the market is flooded with everyone
> that wants to explain PHP in their own way and in
> the end it just creates more confusion like I had
> to endure the last year.
Mac
May 07, 2013 01:12PM
2nd one to buy is PHP5 and MySQL Bible by Park and Morgan. Gives the 1st one a close run....
May 07, 2013 09:08PM
thanks MAC for recommending the 2nd one dat we can buy...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login