Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Html on the cd

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Html on the cd
February 12, 2013 09:07AM
The html zip file on the course site is an update with some links fixed. I asked for the cd,s to be updated but they may have sent out an older cd....
Re: Html on the cd
February 12, 2013 06:31PM
do we have to redo the chapters we already did on the cd ?
Mac
February 13, 2013 08:45AM
Nope - The content is the same. Just some links that got corrupted, and some fonts that are different. The content is the same.
February 19, 2013 02:25PM
Please link to a downloadable version as CD's were not included in most of our post packages.

Thank you

EDIT:

All of the exact same course ware is available online in a free PHP course here: http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/php/php.html
and the PHP coursefiles can be found here: http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/phpFiles.zip

so UNISA charges for free course ware...

Student number : 7803-010-2
Email and Gtalk for support : wilcovandeijl@gmail.com
February 19, 2013 03:39PM
Is this true!

The only reason I decided to sign up for this course versus other institutions course is because I was under the impression that the qualifications would be worth something! Please can you give me a breakdown of the benefits this course provides as opposed to doing self study from the free site.

____________________________________________Nazi Coder____________________________________________

I'm not antisocial, I'm just not user friendly

"It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature!" ~ some unknown Microsoft developer
February 19, 2013 04:09PM
My understanding is since this is a short course, it can't carry much weight as a qualification and you should therefore not expect it to. You should be doing this course to get an intro into PHP and then take it from there.

Note there are lots of sites where you can learn PHP for free.

The reason you pay for this course is for the following reasons:-

- the course content has been screened from many sites for best learning;
- you have forum access to a lot of people all starting at the same point and learning together as you go along;
- you get to compile a project and get it marked and you get dedicated access to resources to help you along the way (such as the lecturer);

If you did not know this before then you did not do your homework beforehand....another learning point!!

Cheers
February 19, 2013 04:51PM
77928490, I can assure you that I did extensive research before deciding on this course.

UNISA is the only institution who's short course qualification contributes toward your NQF5 and gives you 12 credits and by name alone looks far better on your CV than some online internet training site's and that in a nutshell is why I picked this course.

So what I'm looking for is assurances that I am not wasting my time here seeing as the start of this course has gotten off on a bit of a rocky start.

For one thing it would have been nice to be informed that this course is not UNISA's own compilation. Also, seeing as one has to have internet to participate in this course why not make the CD's content available online like the other site had done?

It's now the 19th of Feb, I still have not received my CD or my TUT letter, like many other, thankfully one of the guys on my.unisa posted a link or I would still be waiting.

____________________________________________Nazi Coder____________________________________________

"It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature!" ~ some unknown Microsoft developer
Mac
February 20, 2013 07:55AM
If you have read the tut letter you will know that we have licensed (not just used) this tut from H&L - we pay per student to make it available to you, even though you can access it for free.

77928490 provide the exact reasons - you pay for the support, which is significantly more than a 3 day hit-and-run course, which costs double, and where you are on your own the week after .

Rather than working out of a single handbook or a single tut which forces a single view, we make use of the Internet as a resource, because that is what will take you forward.

This model is in line with what Unisa and many other institutions are pursuing. We are encouraged to make use of open source material - it provides more than just our own perspective. Keep in mind we have sourced many tuts to find the one that we think is best for you. That already is worth something!

If you do not trust this model, you can request to be refunded.... but you need to trust us. As regards your material stating where the tut letter can be downloaded, have you contacted the admin office? It could be couriered to you because of post office strikes.

And yes, this is at the required NQF level, and is worth something, else it would not have been approved.
February 20, 2013 08:12AM
*Phew* With all that being said.... Lets move on already! grinning smiley

How is everyone doing with the tutorials so far?
February 20, 2013 09:17AM
Thanks for clarifying. Like most people on the UNISA and other forums, TUT letters were not included in the packages couriered. That is why we struggled to get the information. I received the links to the on-line tut letters after the post was made. Also I was waiting until recently to even find out if my registration went through.

Looking forward to the forum collaboration.

mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have read the tut letter you will know that
> we have licensed (not just used) this tut from H&L
> - we pay per student to make it available to you,
> even though you can access it for free.
>
> 77928490 provide the exact reasons - you pay for
> the support, which is significantly more than a 3
> day hit-and-run course, which costs double, and
> where you are on your own the week after .
>
> Rather than working out of a single handbook or a
> single tut which forces a single view, we make use
> of the Internet as a resource, because that is
> what will take you forward.
>
> This model is in line with what Unisa and many
> other institutions are pursuing. We are encouraged
> to make use of open source material - it provides
> more than just our own perspective. Keep in mind
> we have sourced many tuts to find the one that we
> think is best for you. That already is worth
> something!
>
> If you do not trust this model, you can request to
> be refunded.... but you need to trust us. As
> regards your material stating where the tut letter
> can be downloaded, have you contacted the admin
> office? It could be couriered to you because of
> post office strikes.
>
> And yes, this is at the required NQF level, and is
> worth something, else it would not have been
> approved

Mac
February 20, 2013 09:51AM
We do not include the tut letter so we can make changes up to the last minute (else we have to package it in early November). If you look at our forums, this course (together with Internet and web-design) generates the most posts - making it a "truly dynamic" course. The issues with delivery of the package (the welcome letter, CD etc.) is due to the port office strike, as well as some other admin-related issues that we have no control over - it appears to plague many other courses as well. That said, we accommodate students and even transfer their registration to the next semester if it really gets critical.
February 20, 2013 10:00AM
thank you for the information. The initial problem was just getting to this forum smiling smiley .. it is not advertised at all so maybe send out a mail to the registered students?

Mac
February 20, 2013 10:09AM
Yes maybe.... but what is most important is getting the tut letter first, as per the welcoming letter. We want you to read and understand the course and forum use before coming here. Sounds silly, but it is true. Also, it generates extra admin because we replicate an admin system that already exists (not easy when Unisa has 280 000 students!

Just received this email, which puts it into perspective:

Dear Colleagues

We learnt on Friday, the 15th February, that the South African Postal Services in Johannesburg and Pretoria are on strike. The strike started during the week of the 11th February – we were not aware thereof.

I emailed the PHP students informing them of the strike and requesting a physical address whereto the study material could be couriered. After the replies were received from the students they prepared the study material to be couriered. The study material was delivered to SkyNet Courier Services yesterday,where there was a back log of study material to be couriered. There is no way to know when the study material will reach the students!

So this is just unfortunate and we need to work though it.
February 20, 2013 10:15AM
Doesn't sound silly at all hehe.. I understand 100% that forums are the way to go on the web. Its the single best place to learn and basically what the internet was made of before websites and web applications were made to make money with. The next step of course would be to get invited to decent newsgroups but people will find out about that themselves tongue sticking out smiley ..

Thanks for the info

February 20, 2013 07:45PM
Thanks for all the info. Could I ask then that the same html tutorial from the CD is the same one whose link was provided on the the tut 101 letter for download?
Mac
February 20, 2013 09:20PM
Huh?
February 21, 2013 05:39AM
Hey guys, I know that SAPO has issues just like other companies but I understood "Downloadable tutorial letters, study material and all software necessary for completing the course" (course outline) to mean that all necessary info is downloadable so I am really not that impressed that I will be put under pressure when my study material eventually arrives.
Further to that, I was not asked for a physical address for the courier and I was not informed of any issues until I phoned to ask on how to proceed (that was on the 20th Feb). I get assigned another email account and get told that all correspondence will be sent there, I had to phone UNISA to have my account "reset" because I could not logon (reset my account before I even logged on for the first time???). I emailed 3 addresses I found on the UNISA website about my issues only to have all 3 of them bounce (1 mailbox was full and the other 2 just failed with non specific errors). Once I could logon on, all I had is a welcome letter that really does not explain anything.

So now that my soap box rant is over, I am really keen and exited to be doing this course and looking forward to helping (if I can) and being helped while getting this course tucked under my belt.
Mac
February 21, 2013 11:08AM
Yes, but remember that you have to first received the welcome letter by post (it is not on myUnisa) to access the download information. There are reasons this welcoming letter is in place and why this is posted to you. Fact is, this is the first time in years it has happened and you CAN blame it on the Post Office.

If you want to postpone the course to next semester you can.
Mac
February 21, 2013 11:09AM
Yes, but remember that you have to first received the welcome letter by post (it is not on myUnisa) to access the download information. There are reasons this welcoming letter is in place and why this is posted to you. Fact is, this is the first time in years it has happened and you CAN blame it on the Post Office.

If you want to postpone the course to next semester if you want
February 21, 2013 11:43AM
Hey Prof

Are you kidding - life is made of challenges. If I did postpone, chances are good that there would be another "challenge", not necessarily with UNISA or SAPO perhaps with something in my life.

ALL miracles are preceded with a challenge smile

So here is to an excellent opportunity to have a good outcome.

I read a few weeks ago - the only disability in life is a bad attitude (this was said by a person who was physically challenged). Guess what has changed in the last few weeks?

Glen
Mac
February 21, 2013 12:53PM
Ok then... smiling smiley
February 22, 2013 09:45AM
Alright my CD finally arrived yesterday and I now have access to the softwares.
February 24, 2013 10:31AM
Hi. I have not received a CD yet, but have studied PHP now almost 9 times... from other online sites... in the last year.

So I am just going to focus on what is available from the links provided for now until the CD arrives. I have seen somewhere that you can also download the disk?

Student Number: 78042879 (Part Time Courses)
Mac
February 24, 2013 05:12PM
Email me for the download link.
February 26, 2013 10:44AM
mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Email me for the download link.

Hi Mac.

SkyNet just delivered it! Planned to start today and get up to speed ASAP.

LOL What ? I just realized....a CD that is delivered by SKYNET....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qlq4wpmVY8

Student Number: 78042879 (Part Time Courses)
February 26, 2013 11:17AM
Mac, I'm also still waiting for my CD and have not been asked for a physical address for delivery?

Mac
February 26, 2013 11:53AM
Please contact CENSE - they manage that. See http://cs-cert.unisa.ac.za
March 04, 2013 09:21PM
Thanks mac, I tried calling them but no one answered.

Is there maybe anyone in the Centurion area who has recieved theirs and might be willing to let me make a copy?

March 04, 2013 09:27PM
Hi All,

If you received the Unisa Welcome letter then you would have read you could download the tut 101 from the course website at http://@#$%&.

Interestingly it said it will be available only on the first day of Feb/July (semester1/semester2).

I found when using the CD, the images did not display. So instead I am using the online link http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/php/php.html. Easierspinning smiley sticking its tongue out.

All the coursefiles can be found here http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/downloads.html.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
March 04, 2013 09:28PM
If you received the Unisa Welcome letter then you would have read you could download the tut 101 from the course website at http://@#$%&/
March 04, 2013 09:29PM
aaaahhhhhhhh

http://@#$%&/
March 04, 2013 09:30PM
ok so I see you are using checking for html special characters

click here
March 04, 2013 09:32PM
wow this is proving challenging to write down this url.

xxx

Edited... because it must not be posted here..... !
March 04, 2013 09:38PM
Thank you for that. I have been working off that file, I'm just worried that the download does not contain all the information on the CD as it's an external source.

Mac
March 05, 2013 08:27AM
Do not post the link here. Those who should have access will at least have the welcoming letter, which points at this site.

On this site the html file is available for download. The images are in the images folder, which should be in the correct place?
March 06, 2013 11:35AM
Thanks for letting us know about the html stuff. I will grab a copy of that zip file now.
March 19, 2013 11:48AM
Today it's the 19nth of March and still haven't got the CD and the Tutorial Matter from the post.... wow... Do they even care that we have deadlines to do? But it's cool...I'll wait... But I don't want to be moved to the second semester though....
Mac
March 20, 2013 09:43AM
Remember it is not Unisa this time. I have PM'ed you information to get you started.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login