Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portfolio: Menu using roll-over images

Posted by Barry-77930797 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Portfolio: Menu using roll-over images
May 06, 2013 06:50PM
Hey, in the tut letter we're told to include a menu system that makes use of roll-over images, I'm not entirely sure what that means. I'm assuming "menu" means the navigation bar, and currently I have a pretty decent looking navigation bar and "roll-over" means when the mouse hovers over the image (in my navigation bar I use links in tables, not images). So my navigation bar is a table that makes use of the ":hover" method on the table cell and link components to change the properties (the background color and font color) when the mouse hovers over the selected cell and link. That's my setup and I'd like to know if that qualifies as a menu system that makes use of roll-over images. Otherwise please let me know, have I completely misunderstood the instruction? If not, can this menu system be used somewhere else in my website instead of a navigation bar? Or do roll-over images mean the same thing a drop down menu like most of the google responses I get? Let me know smiling smiley Please and thank you grinning smiley
Re: Portfolio: Menu using roll-over images
May 06, 2013 08:00PM
May 07, 2013 01:08PM
I used image links in tables and onmouseover and onmouseout to change the image background, that was my understanding of rollover images.

Similar to the example in the Javascript section smiling smiley
May 07, 2013 02:18PM
avatar Re: Portfolio: Menu using roll-over images
May 07, 2013 02:37PM
Well, yeah I'm waiting to see whether or not my css method is fine (or is the javascript method compulsory). Otherwise I'll have to use image links in tables method for my nav bar to include a menu system that makes use of roll-over images. Thanks for everyone else's input smiling smiley
May 07, 2013 03:15PM
Rushil-77923553 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You could use CSS image sprites as well
> [url=http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filena
> me=trycss_sprites_hover_nav]http://www.w3schools.c
> om/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_sprites_hover_nav
> [/url] to create a cool menu system.
>
> But I guess we have to stick to creating something
> with JavaScript spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
---

You can create roll over images like that using javascript by using two arrays for your images instead of just one =)
May 08, 2013 11:17AM
I've gone the CSS route with my menu. I have read through the requirements for the portfolio which states:

• A menu system that makes use of roll-over images.

There is no mention of a javascript requirement for the menu. The only javascript requirement is for validating the email address on your contact form:

• A contact form that uses Javascript to validate the email address a user enters in the form.
May 08, 2013 11:36AM
Hi guys

i used CSS to create my roll over image menu but im having some issues with spacing between the cells and the height and width of images.......any ideas of how i can do this in a better way??
i opted to go the CSS route as javascript was only asked for to validate the email address on a contact form.

Thanks
N
Mac
May 08, 2013 03:15PM
You can use whatever you want, as long as it rolls over....

@Nalika... difficult to comment as you provide no code. But in general, I would go for a JavaScript option - do not spend too much time if you cannot crack it. It will come with experience, and even then you need to weigh up time spent versus effect.
avatar Re: Portfolio: Menu using roll-over images
May 09, 2013 11:15AM
Ah, thanks for that answer Mac smiling smiley This will save me a lot of time seeing that now I don't have to redo my whole menu system grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login