Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Final project criteria

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Final project criteria
October 01, 2012 10:29AM
The evaluation will be based on the criteria as listed below which serve as general Web page design guidelines.
It is useful to use a rating from 1 to 10 (1 is poor, 10 is excellent), for the the seven factors Usability, Navigation, Graphic Design, Content, Compatibility, Load Time, and Functionality, in a checklist-based evaluation of Web sites. Note that usability is the preferred term for user-friendly or ease-of-use. Load time may be ignored because of free web hosting issues. Functionality is all encompassing.

An explanation of the seven factors are:

Usability: i.e. the ease of use/user friendly. Quality of the interaction. Incorporates all other six aspects listed below.
Navigation: Links that are clearly visible, make sense, and are not broken. Also an indication of where one is on a large web site such as Home->Products->Downloads. Answers the two questions: Where am I? Where can I go?
Graphics Design: Appropriate format (jpg (bitmap photos) or gif (bitmap sketches, line-drawings, animations) or flash (vector, animation, video), small picture sizes, number of colours, lossless vs. lossy compression. Could also include page layout here.
Content: clear content that keeps the user engaged/entertained.
Compatibility: with a wide range of browsers (Opera, Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Netscape) and browser versions (Internet Explorer versions 4-7), but focus on IE and Firefox . Also compatible with a wide range of users (age, disability, computer skills etc). Load time: fast load times (less than 10 seconds). Vector graphics very small (flash). Higher graphics compression with fewer colours, smaller pixel sizes, and lossy compression.
Functionality: supports the user in his/her task. For example a bookshop must enable the user to do everything he/she needs to do in an intuitive way to browse and then purchase books. It is the number of functions (things that can be done) available on the site.

The above are wide ranging descriptions - do not follow it to the letter (i.e. test it for all browsers) but understand the general principle and take it forward with you in your career.
avatar Re: Final project criteria
October 03, 2012 02:40PM
Hi there, Mac
I'm worried about free web hosting as every so often when I view my uploaded assignment, I get a sleezy pop-up asking me about my "desire" for asian women. It is something I've seen on their own website. Is this not something we should be worried about?
Re: Final project criteria
October 03, 2012 11:49PM
@mac Is it possible to get some guidance about using frames and tables for page layout within our final project? We've learned both, but the advice on the web is generally guiding us away from using either of them. Neither is specified in the final project brief. I would like to use both to apply what I've learned, but not if it's going to cause me to be marked down in any way.
Mac
October 04, 2012 09:17AM
Free web hosting forces free advertising - that is why it is free. We ignore it

Stay away from frames for sure - not the way to go and old fashioned. Tables you can use,but CSS is beter. It all depends on the complexity of what you are trying to achieve, and we will not be to harsh is you use tables as CSS layout is a skill to get it correct. Point is, you are aware of it, and that is what is important!
October 04, 2012 11:45AM
Okie Dokie!
October 04, 2012 12:33PM
What is the university's position on the ownership/copyright of the portfolio submitted?
Will the university put any claim to the intellectual property included in the portfolio for instance?
Mac
October 04, 2012 01:17PM
No, there is no reason to do this.
October 04, 2012 04:15PM
@mac Thank you for clarifying about frames and tables. I have a bit of reworking to do. Better now than later. smiling smiley
October 09, 2012 02:12AM
Hi Mac
May I ask which version of IE and Firefox you guys use to test our websites?
Mac
October 09, 2012 07:38AM
No smiling smiley No use you optimize it for one or two browsers, but what about the others? We do not go out to nail you, know what to look for (i.e. what is poor programming and what is beyond control - you cannot cover for all browsers, and we accept that).
October 09, 2012 04:02PM
Hi again, Mac
I've been testing out my project for the last two days and I've found that the pop-ups from FreeWebHosting is influencing my photo-slideshow in a rather erratic and inconsistent way. Sometimes it's as smooth as it should be, and other times it hardly loads at all and other times it even "breaks" the "event" totally. How can I circumvent this?
Mac
October 10, 2012 09:12AM
You cannot sad smiley That is why it is free, so they can show ads. You can try another free webs hosting service of your choice, but we will not penalise you for such errors - we know what to look for, e.g. your code will tell us if the problem is your side or server side..
October 10, 2012 11:16AM
Hi Mac,
Are we allowed to use any free web hosting service? as FreeWebHosting wasn't working for me?
Do I just sent the link to our new site in an e-mail again?
Mac
October 10, 2012 03:13PM
You can use any one yes (you are learning in the process because their processes may be different). You need to submit it again, so just add new address.
October 10, 2012 06:24PM
Hi Mac,

on the Rollover Image - JS, can you create a Menu with something like dreamweaver, and incorporate this with your site, (the rest of the site is done in notepad ++), or will I be marked down for using this ?

I understand the principle that the rollover works with.

Thank You
October 11, 2012 07:55AM
I've uploaded everything into the same account that I had for my Assignment 1. Had the usual file path errors and corrected those. Everything went fine yesterday on the upload and I had previously bookmarked my URL which was working fine in Firefox. Then I tried to access the URL through IE and it gave a message that the URL was incorrect. (I had in fact copied it across). After that I have not been able to access it at all on any browser. Is anyone else having these difficulties? I'm running out of time now.
Mac
October 11, 2012 08:09AM
@ Lou You must code rollover - I cannot give marks to Dreamweaver team sad smiley
@ RMcC - impossible to advise, because you may have made an error you are not aware of, and there is no checklist 1, checklist 2, checklist 3 fro such errors. . Maybe the server was just down for a while?
October 11, 2012 05:30PM
Well I didn't change anything and the problem still exists. I uploaded. Checked the website which working bar three of the links in my main navigation. I changed these at home and re uploaded the files. Everything was working. I then tried to access the site using IE. That didn't work and since then I can't access it at all on any of my browsers including my bookmarked one. I have emailed them for help but have had no response back. Panic is beginning to set in as the deadline approaches.
Mac
October 12, 2012 08:13AM
I suggest you find another free web hosting service. Consider it part of the learning curve - no use requesting help from them - they will not bend backwards because you are not paying.
October 12, 2012 12:15PM
Thanks Mac.I decided to use Mweb since I have access to free hosting under them - all I had to do was to register a domain. I have done this and it was indeed a learning curve. I have now learnt the importance of using command prompt which we were introduced to in the Introduction in terms of discovering when a registered domain is in fact ready for use. Also they sold me a domain under co.za which in fact was already taken and now they will have to undo that for me. I finally managed to re-register the same name but as a .net domain. I also learnt finally how to use Filezille. For anyone else who is confused by this Filezille has a two step process - on the left the files are selected but they still have to be dragged across to the right. I couldn't understand why the files once they had been listed on the left were not reflecting on my website. The problem was that I had not completed step 2. It is now up an running and I am just in the process of doing final checks and will have my URL available by Monday. I feel very relieved. I will re-post this information into the Introduction section for anyone else who might need it. The difference in speed was amazing.
Mac
October 12, 2012 01:47PM
Good on you!
October 18, 2012 08:01AM
I uploaded my assignment a few days ago, but noticed a few spelling mistakes now. I know it sounds rather silly, but do you deduct points for spelling mistakes??
Mac
October 18, 2012 10:06AM
Mmmm, first time this comes up. It probably does affect the content.... even if it is not picked up the subconscious is very powerful.... just fix it, there is time.
October 18, 2012 10:42PM
ah, thanks. all fixed up ^^
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login