Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Browser compatibility

Posted by JPV-77520521 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Browser compatibility
September 11, 2012 04:19PM
Hey Mac

Do we have too cater for all tipe's of browsers(Firefox, chrome, netscape, maxthon, Opera, Safari etc) , or can we fokus on Internet Explorer alone?
Mac
Re: Browser compatibility
September 13, 2012 08:24AM
Thinks this was answered elsewhere already, bit in general I use IE 1st and Firefox 2nd.
September 14, 2012 12:36PM
It took me quite awhile to get my Netscape browsers to work. In the end it was about going to advanced options and making the correct selections. Unfortunately Firefox doesn't offer all the options so I can't get status bar messages in Firefox. I can in the others. When I put in the code for adjusting browsers however, it seems to disable everything and I can't get that to work at all. Also my rollover images function differently in Netscape based browsers and IE. I'm still battling with this as I am with all my onMouseover functions (not even the sample given in the Js folder work).

I thought that Netscape originated javascript and IE Java. So I am confused as to why they work in IE rather than Netscape. I do find that IE tends to be ponderous and a slow loader compared to any of my Netscape based browsers so my preference is to work mainly in those.
Mac
September 17, 2012 07:21AM
This is tricky, and partly the result of browsers wars.

Read this: http://www.netmechanic.com/products/Browser-Tutorial.shtml This explains it best.
September 27, 2012 10:33AM
Thank you so much for this Mac. I have bookmarked this. Most of my posts reflect my concerns around browser differences. I'm sorry I have only just returned to this thread but there are always a lot of posts to go through.
October 02, 2012 06:20PM
Thank you again Mac for the email link to the tutorial. I have now enclosed my whole site in a 750px divider and it makes a huge difference to the way different browsers see it. I've noticed as well that a lot of sites are doing this - using a longer and narrower design rather than a wide one that tries to fill the screen.
Mac
October 04, 2012 03:45PM
Yes, there are trends and a a narrower design appears to be in these days... it just looks neater for some reason. However, it all depends on what the site is about.
October 08, 2012 03:34PM
Well after spending a lot of time confining my work within the narrower boundary I have in fact returned to the wider three column look. It seems to work across all my browsers now apart from my drop down form which is still bouncing around a bit.
avatar Re: Browser compatibility
October 19, 2012 10:25PM
I found IE to be most limiting in especially picking up some of the CSS I tried.
Chrome was a great tool - especially the 'inspect element" function is invaluable to analyse the html and corresponding styling used.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login