Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portfolio: Fully functional website

Posted by silas.tseuoa 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Portfolio: Fully functional website
September 03, 2012 10:47AM
This was very difficult but also exciting to see how the websites are developed, i really enjoyed it.
Re: Portfolio: Fully functional website
September 03, 2012 11:03AM
Hi All,

I wont start a new thread for this since this one already exists but I would like to start a new question relating to this.

Since the deadline for the first assignment is today, I will now be starting on my final assignment.

I don't have any questions that need answering but would just like to find out where everyone else got their inspiration for the fully functioning website? Did you have an idea from the beginning? Are you making a personal web space? Is there someone who you will be doing a website for and doubling it as an assignment?

I am just curious to see what different people plan to do...

Good luck.
September 03, 2012 11:47AM
I think thats a great idea. It would be helpful if everyone shares how there portfolio is going.

Thanx wazid
September 03, 2012 03:15PM
Im still thinking about the concept behind my fully functional website!. I want this website to be a base which I can build on later, for personal projects or possibly clients.
September 03, 2012 05:37PM
I'm still thinking of ideas for my site, struggling too find some inspiration I have got the design going just not what the site is going too be about in the end of the day.

J.P. Venter

jp.venter415@gmail.com
BBM: 29A5A2C4
September 07, 2012 01:15PM
hi guys

Besides struggling with 3g network around where i live, i have found it at least better since i have adsl in my house.

I am also battling to find ideas for my site, but the whole process is proving to be very fascinating indeed.

Good luck guys...
September 11, 2012 09:52AM
My wife has been keen to put a site up on a subject that interests her, so that's probably the route I'll go.
I'll most probably have to start and restart a couple of times before I'm happy, as I have no obvious inspiration lighting the way!
avatar Re: Portfolio: Fully functional website
September 11, 2012 04:14PM
Hey there
A quick question: in the tutorial letter describing the portfolio we are to design and submit, it mentions that we must use the font Arial 12pt.... Really?
May we not use a prettier font?
September 12, 2012 12:38PM
Hi Liez

I guess if Arial 12pt is asked for, we use Arial 12pt!

The beauty of CSS is that it's so simple to change the font throughout your whole website.
If you're planning to use your portfolio as your own, just change to the font attributes that you want in your CSS, after you've submitted it.

If someone who views your website doesn't have your particular font installed on their computer, they won’t see your font, but their browser will replace it with a font that IS on their computer.
It's for this reason that there are web safe fonts, which are fonts that every browser has - and Arial is one of them.

Adrian.
Mac
September 14, 2012 08:52AM
Well explained Adrian! There are many other such "rules" which are impossible to cover in this course.
September 14, 2012 09:14AM
September 14, 2012 12:25PM
I didn't interpret this ashaving to use Arial 12pt. I saw the brackets as representing an example of what it means to define the font. Do we really have to use Arial 12pt.

I have been working onmy portfolio for some time and I selected a font that matches my title graphic. It has been quite an epic setting up the pages as I have a lot of difficulty with css positioning. Apart from IE which does change my font, my other browsers work perfectly and it all matches. If I have to change it now to Arial 12 pt, it's not really going to match my style at all.

I felt really concerned when I saw this post.

Mac if you are reading this, could you please let me know how I should proceed.

Many thanks
September 14, 2012 01:39PM
Well I've just answered my own question. I changed the font from Century to Arial 12 pt and what a difference. Much neater and the headache I was having with IE seems to have self corrected. Thank you to those of you who raised the font issue.
Mac
September 17, 2012 07:18AM
You can use another font - the point really is consistency i.e. one font throughout.
September 20, 2012 10:00AM
Noted thumbs up
September 26, 2012 10:43PM
I am working through some of the JavaScript before starting my final portfolio. I've barely had an Internet connection for the past 3 weeks, but thank heavens we managed to get a booster installed on our roof today so I've just caught up on reading all the forum posts and will be able to fully participate again. Thankfully many questions about the portfolio have already been addressed in the existing forum posts which is very helpful.
September 27, 2012 10:22AM
I did this course because I registered a domain name with MWeb for a business that I am wanting to start, but having registered the name became confused as to how to proceed. It seemed to me that getting a professional designer would be more expensive in the long term than learning how to do it myself. My real concern with this was the potential cost of website maintenance. I am really not sorry I have done this although I have found it really difficult at times, particularly mastering CSS layout and Java. I am keeping my professional site for later but am putting together a practice website for my portfolio on one of my private interests and have really enjoyed doing this. With all the free hosting areas available I don't see ultimately why I can't run a few websites rather than just one.
September 27, 2012 04:27PM
Please ignore this one. I logged in with the wrong username.
September 27, 2012 04:32PM
When I have an idea I don't want to use an easier option just because of my own limitations at this stage. I'd rather research how to do what I actually want to do. Now that I'm starting to work on my final portfolio I'm finding this website particularly useful. http://www.htmlgoodies.com/
September 27, 2012 05:34PM
Thanks Lisa

Much like you, I'm also trying to research and increase my knowledge base, but am starting to be concerned about how long this is all taking me!

I use About.com quite a lot, and have subscribed to their HTML and CSS E-mails.
This is the starting page [www.about.com], and then click on the drop down menus at the top of the page.

Have fun!
Adrian.
September 27, 2012 09:19PM
Thanks Adrian. I'll give About.com a try.
September 27, 2012 10:53PM
Another site I use a lot is [w3schools.com/].
Although you're supposed to be able to teach yourself from their site, I find it very difficult, as their explanations feel as though they're for IT graduates.
I do find it a fantastic site to play around with though.
Fiddle and change and get instant results!

Adrian.
September 29, 2012 10:08AM
Hey guys. I have started testing my portfolio for browser compatibility. I have found that when i tested it on IE6 my transparent PNG does not work. On IE7 its fine. IE6 does not support Transparent PNG's. Any way of getting around it? I have found a few JS that fixes it, but that won't be my own work.
Mac
October 01, 2012 07:56AM
You can use whatever JS you want - it is not expected that you code it.
October 01, 2012 03:40PM
@mac That's great, thank you! Although the JavaScript that I want to include needed a whole lot of reworking, so at least I know that, even if I didn't code it from scratch myself, I do fully understand every line of the code. I won't make it my focus though, because I know that that's not what you'll really be marking us on.
October 01, 2012 04:55PM
I managed to upload all my website files but when i visit the url of my website, the 6te net fails to read all my html files except the index.html file. Only the index.html layout is display with ads which i did not create in positions of html files i defined for certain areas of my home page(index.html).I made use of frames to define my website layout. If the is anyone who knows what could have went wrong, please help. The unuploaded files work just fine.
October 02, 2012 02:11PM
Never mind the previous post, i did manage to solve the problem.
Mac
October 02, 2012 04:55PM
Share the solution with us smiling smiley
October 03, 2012 10:39AM
There was some inconsistency with the naming of my html files. Another issue was that Microsoft Internet Explorer did not display the layout correctly but I manage to write some JavaScript code to deprive users to view the website with Microsoft Internet Explorer.
October 09, 2012 06:24PM
http://jquery.andreaseberhard.de/pngFix/

Here is the fix for transparency in IE6

Hope your Portfolio's are going well.
October 09, 2012 06:25PM
http://ietester.en.softonic.com/

IEtester is a great tool I use. You can test your website in any version of Internet Explorer.
October 10, 2012 11:29AM
In internet explorer i'm having trouble with all my images being outlined in blue? and once the link was used it's red. but in chrome I never had this problem. Has anyone had this problem and figured out the solution?
October 14, 2012 11:30PM
Hi

In CSS use

border:none;

for the image's style
October 15, 2012 10:05AM
Thanks Craig,

That worked perfectly thumbs up
October 22, 2012 05:45PM
My project finally went in this afternoon! I have to say a huge thank you to Mac for these couple of days extension.

Just before uploading I had the funniest experience that showed how important syntax is. One of my longer pages which I had created weeks ago has quite a lot of formatting on it. It was looking good right up until the minute I was going to upload, but when I gave it one last quick glance I saw that half of my page which shouldn't have been in a table of any sort had been sucked into a single very narrow column of the tabled list above it ... whole paragraphs of text now one word per line, and previously wide images now at microscopic sizes. The page became veeeerrry long, and it just looked like the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on a website. I can only imagine if I hadn't given the page that last glance and Mac had been the one trying to make some sense of it all. The amazing thing is the table tags were all still there. It boiled down to one inverted comma that I had by mistake deleted. Amazing that it could wreak that kind of havoc!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login