Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introduction: Lesson 3: Task 3E-1

Posted by Liez-77697839 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Introduction: Lesson 3: Task 3E-1
July 13, 2012 10:57AM
To be honest, I'm not sure I know what exactly a server application is. I've read it over and over, but I'm not clicking. Can anyone help me?
avatar Re: Introduction: Lesson 3: Task 3E-1
July 13, 2012 05:51PM
a description that i got from anther source:

"Web server applications are normally dynamic link libraries that are loaded and called by an HTTP server. They are used to enhance the server capabilities."

dynamic link libraries are commonly known as dll files. and server applications pretty much process user requests to generate dynamic content.
Re: Introduction: Lesson 3: Task 3E-1
July 14, 2012 09:48AM
In lamons terms, the way that I understand it is that web server applications "do the work for you" - when submitting a request to the web server, the applications are there to make sourcing of the information more effective.
Its software written to make access to the web database, asking as a "go between" between the web servers and the client servers. It takes the hassle out of different programmes and software to be able to communicate to retrieve info on the web.
Could also be viewed as a translater if you will, reading different scripting requests from all over and still being able to retieve what you are looking for.
avatar Re: Introduction: Lesson 3: Task 3E-1
July 16, 2012 09:03PM
I agree on the confusion part.
For instance what is the difference between a server application and an application server.
Simple definition I read for server application is:
"Servers are designed for nearly every purpose imaginable, from email to applications. Every application has specific server requirements, typically designed to run on Windows Server or Small Business Server, Novell Netware, or Linux. Many servers can run multiple applications to serve a variety of needs. As your network grows, you will find uses for a variety of specialized server applications." http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/networks/page4819.cfm
Some examples listed are:
  • File and Print Servers
  • Mail Servers
  • Database Servers
July 18, 2012 07:22PM
I'm afraid I "cheated" by looking at the answers on p.119. In a nutshell server applications include "search" , shopping carts, on line banking.If I am correct it might also include email facilities and so on. The application server seems to be the server that provides the applications. http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/networks/page4819.cfm has an article called an Introduction to server applications.

I would really appreciate it if someone could comment on whether this is correct or not.
August 13, 2012 11:41PM
When I first got the book I have to admit that I jumped straight to the HTML and CSS, thinking that there wouldn't be much to learn from the first section, but I was wrong. Sure, I knew a lot of it, but I definitely had gaps, and these chapters have pulled everything together for me to make my knowledge of how the Internet works much more concrete.
June 24, 2013 01:25PM
YOH!!! maybe i am just tired confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login