Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HTML: Lesson 6: Topic A

Posted by antiother-77681541 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
July 07, 2012 10:53AM
people are trying to get away from tables these days. they're html and shouldn't be used for layout or presentation, but only for exactly what they imply. A table of information.
Re: HTML: Lesson 6: Topic A
July 07, 2012 12:24PM
Agreed.thumbs up
July 09, 2012 03:24PM
Above noted. Activity completed.
August 01, 2012 08:50PM
Creating these tables is rather cumbersome.
Completed
August 19, 2012 01:43PM
Nella-77704169 I agree.

Activity completed
avatar Re: HTML: Lesson 6: Topic A
August 21, 2012 04:10PM
Activity completed.
September 05, 2012 11:48AM
Hi,

I am trying to align my table, but does not seem to be working.. Prob just something I'm not looking at?

Language: HTML
<Table Border="1" Width="80% > <TR> <TD Align="Center">This is Cell 1</TD><TD Align="Center">This is Cell 2</TD> </TR> </Table>

Please also advise if you can align the entire row? and then also how you align the entire tables position?

Thanks.
September 05, 2012 11:51AM
Found the problem with the coding, was just missing a closing inverted coma's, but would still like to know about the other 2 questions smiling smiley
September 06, 2012 09:43AM
Hi Wazid

I will try and answer your first of the two other questions, to align the entire row put the align attribute inside the opening tag of that row
Language: HTML
<tr align="center"> <td>This is Cell 1</td><td>This is Cell 2</td> </tr>
The same thing if you want to align the entire table, OK, this will alight the table rather than the content, put the align attribute inside the opening tag of the table, I'm not so sure but I think if you want to align content of the entire table you will need to include align attribute in the opening tag of each row
September 10, 2012 03:57PM
I've been playing around with the tables now, and I find them to be a great for formatting the page, I like the style it gives...
September 22, 2012 12:21PM
Table created. I am hoping that further down the course I will understand the comments about tables been obsolete.
October 03, 2012 09:16PM
I am have overheard couple of session where web developers roast each other for the use of tables.
Why the aversion to using tables?
Doesn't it allow for easy positioning and formatting of page?
October 03, 2012 09:21PM
Apparently one of the reason why tables are not generally prescribed is that search spiders can not read the content.
How true is this?
October 03, 2012 11:42PM
@DaveJ-77719867 As I understand it tables have various drawbacks with regards to flexibility, printing and load-time. When it comes to search engine spiders and bots, they can find the text information within tables, but it might not be prioritised optimally. For example if the headings are on the left instead of the top, the search engine might treat them as less important. The real problem for spiders and bots comes in with frames where they often can't read the information in sections of the page at all.
October 04, 2012 07:47AM
Tx, makes sense.

I had a chat to a developer on the use of tables and this was his reply.

The use or not of tables is all about the semantic layout of the page and the scalability in styling.
Content layout must be done with correct tags for correct content type.
Styling can then be done using CSS.
You must be able to use other layouts for example by just exchanging the CSS file. With a table-based layout you would not be able to do this.
So in short it is all about separation of concerns.
HTML for content, CSS for styling and layout, and JavaScript for behaviour.
October 08, 2012 03:37PM
Sorry but I couldn't resist this: in my case javascript is usually for msibehaviour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login