Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

final portfolio question

Posted by 77517296 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
final portfolio question
September 06, 2012 10:05AM
Do we need create an extra database table to store user/login details (or how can we distinguish between students and Administrator ? ). I can not find anything on the Tut Letter about user-rights (am I missing something ?). Please help
Anonymous User
Re: final portfolio question
September 06, 2012 02:35PM
Another q Mac, Is it just the functionality that matters or can we make the portfolio pages look a bit fancy aswell to earn more marks? I want mine to look like a proper UNISA registration site
September 06, 2012 09:28PM
Hi Euwen-72934603 , according to the tut the cosmetics are not essential for marking, but if you like you can pretty things up
Anonymous User
September 07, 2012 07:36AM
Ok 77779452 Gwen thanks, I'm used to front-end Development, this will be a challenge, but we got all the necessary material like the tut letter states,so if I am correct it is 5 php pages in total? the main 1 being index.php
Mac
September 07, 2012 08:07AM
Correct.
Anonymous User
September 07, 2012 09:49AM
Understood, one last question about the index page, is it index.php for a reason? meaning does it also need some php script, or is it just a menu page which links to the php forms, same as a plain old index.html file with the php extension?
Mac
September 07, 2012 04:57PM
We are working with php so a .php extension is natural (editors you code in can colour-code php code if it is saved as .php, so there is a benefit to working with .php) . Servers look for index.html, index.htm, index.php (and even index.php3 for legacy scripts), as well as a host of other index files. So you should have just one of these.

To answer your question, you can have html code only in a .php page, so stick with .php. Just makes it easier.

Maybe this is a bad answer on a Friday just before 5....
Anonymous User
September 08, 2012 10:32AM
You answered it perfectly Mac smileys with beer thx, I am clear about the page layouts now
September 12, 2012 10:08AM
One more silly question, Are we developing a UNISA registration site or is it up to us to chose our own varsity?
Mac
September 13, 2012 08:25AM
Your own.
Anonymous User
September 13, 2012 08:30AM
it dont matter as long as it functions? is that correct Mac?
Mac
September 14, 2012 10:17AM
Yes. In essence, the skills being tested are insert, extract, update and delete. How you do it is a matter of your logic, which is different to mine and others. There is no correct way - more streamlined and better coded ways yes, but I do not mark according to my way or the better way. Logic can, and will, improve as you continue with PHP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login