Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(Security) Is my data secure? Who can you trust with your personal info these days?

Posted by 77740963 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
(Security) Is my data secure? Who can you trust with your personal info these days?
September 03, 2012 10:50PM
I really found the security section in this course very interesting. And it got me thinking... we trust so many web services with our personal info. Everything from where you live to what you like, credit card details. But is our info actually safe? And are these services taking the necessary precautions to protect their users?

One indecent that comes to mind is when Sony and PSN got hacked, and it was later revealed that passwords were saved in plain text in their databases. I'm no expert web developer, but even I know that's just pathetic. Even I know that info like that should be encrypted/ hashed.

Would be interesting to hear more opinions on this subject spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Mac
Re: (Security) Is my data secure? Who can you trust with your personal info these days?
September 04, 2012 07:52AM
If the server was secure and the code accessing it also, then there was less a problem. But plain text.... eish.
Re: (Security) Is my data secure? Who can you trust with your personal info these days?
September 04, 2012 05:54PM
but hackers always find their way through hey,i did a cryptography course and all i cocluded is that scammers always get a step ahead
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login