Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exams

Posted by Tazz 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exams
April 23, 2012 12:19PM
How is the exam preparations going? I was just wondering, is there any other way to approach this subject other than swotting the entire textbook?

I have downloaded the textbook summaries and am trying to swott that. This is the only course standing between me and my degree. So I kinda need all the tips and pointers I can get.

With just 20 days left, hope you all are studying very very hard smiling smiley
Re: Exams
April 26, 2012 10:59AM
Hey Tazz

You and I seem to be in the same boat here - last exam before the degree... And both sitting on a re-write from last year's paper.

As always seems to be the case though, we have emergency issues at work, now, just when I'm preparing to write. Same situation at the end of the last 2 to 3 years... So preparation on my end has started slowly. I presume you are using the pressman summaries? I threw mine out - found it was better to go through the book and summarize steps, points etc in my own way (I don't generally do well learning from other notes, but thats just how I am). Anyway, I'm hoping next week looks brighter, and then I can get stuck in properly. I'll propbably end up reading through the summaries from pressman before I write again, just to ensure that I've generally covered everything (assuming that I get it everything covered in-time).

But all the best with your studies in the meantime. I'll have more to contribute by Monday (hopefully!!).

By the way, is it just me, or did the forums die away - there seems to be little if any discussions in most subject modules... I was thinking that perhaps new students don't know the course code mapping from the new codes to the old codes (which the osprey forum still seems to use). But then where did everyone end up going to??
April 29, 2012 06:04PM
Hi

I used the downloaded summaries as base and supplemented with my own notes. I also went through 4 past papers and revised those principles. I'm sure you will make it this time round. All the best.
May 02, 2012 11:21AM
Thanks wishblade and nozdlax
I am using the pressman summaries, (i found them on the mcgraw hill website) also went through the mulitple choice questions on the website, although i must admit that
i found some of the mcq questions with errors. I browsed throught some past papers and noticed that some past paper took questions directly from the mcqs on the site. Which was not good bcos most of the mcqs had lotsa errors.

I am really really hoping i pass this time around. There is so much to cover and as much as i am trying not to leave out anything, i also do realise that to completely learn off
the textbook is really impossible

Its true these forums have completely died, even i dont check as frequently as i used to bcos theres just no new posts anymore. last semester this time, the advanced programming forum was buzzing with activitity, not so much this semester. Maybe it is that the old students dont know about the forums. In fact i used to be quite active on the myunisa forums and only stumbled upon this forum quite late in my studies.

Anyways, wish everybody all the best for the exams. I really really really hope i pass. This degree has taken me about 6 years this year, and this is the first supp that i have ever got!, so there goes my summa cum laude...

Good luck peeps smiling smiley
May 04, 2012 11:44AM
I was confident about the exams and confident about my exam preperation until i went over last semesters paper. That paper was seriously difficult. I just hope that we have a better paper this semester. Just 9 more days, and this huge weight can be lifted off my shoulders. I remember getting my results like it happened yesterday. On the 9th December 2011 at around 3am I got the email and I have been stressed ever since!!!
May 08, 2012 08:22PM
Wow, I thought it wouldn't be that stressful this time round. Especially given that I had a whole semester to study for one subject, which I had an idea what it was about already, given that I was supp'ing the paper. And, with a few days only left, it seems I was woefully mistaken: I think I'm back to hoping for a pass smiling smiley

But, whatever happens, simply happens. My last year of study; yes, I've been through them all, and for some useless advice to those willing to listen: don't drop out for a few years in the middle of studies. The horse becomes wild while you are gone, and getting back on later is going to be very different than when you first started with the calm and meek horsey that let you climb up. This time round, it doesn't want you on its back...

But anyway, point is: all the best to everyone writing. We'll see what happens on the other side smiling smiley
May 10, 2012 05:41AM
@#$%
You guys are making me nervous for this subject.
May 11, 2012 11:41AM
Amen Darkling!
May 11, 2012 02:29PM
First time writing? Its not all that bad...

Only issue is the preparation: the amount of work to cover is quite hectic. If you get through that, or at least most of it, the exam is actually pretty meek and tame...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login