Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

REsolution

Posted by dve83 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
REsolution
May 06, 2012 05:06PM
Hello,

I am struggling with the concept of resolution.

I understand that it applies to both propositional logic and fist order logic. I also understand that all first order logic needs to be converted to clause form (ie. remove implications, move Negation inwards (and adjust E to A and A to E), remove Existential qualifiers by using skolem functions. Remove universal quantifiers, and distribute to get () ^ () ^ () form of expression.

Now we are asked to prove G from our EXPRESSION. Hence we assume NOT G and try to see if we get a FALSE / NIL via resolution. For this we need to choose two clauses and resolve the negations inside it.

I have done some extra browsing on the internet - and will have to do some more reading in our book - but it seems linear resolution is the key.

We have from our previous exam paper:

1. Smoke(x) V ~Party(x) V Happy(x)
2. ~Single(y) V Party(Y)
3. Single(john)
4. ~Smoke(John)
5. ~Happy(Z) V Exciting(Z)
6. ~G: ~Exciting(W)

Thus i start with goal
Resolve G with 5 (only thing containing exciting) and we get

7. ~Happy(W) (i'm never sure which way around the substitution should go, but this seems correct to me). Lines 6 and 5

Now I resolve 7 with something from the KB (line 1)
8. Smoke(w) V ~Party(w)

Now I resolve 8 with something from KB (either 4 OR 2). I don't think I can resolve with 4, because I cannot replace JOHN with variable.

if I resolve with 2 I get : 9: ~Single(w) V Smoke(w)

Now I resolve 9 with something. I cannot resolve with 3 or 4 (it contains constants).

Where Am I going wrong?

Many thanks for your reply.
Danie

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
May 21, 2012 04:02PM
>Now I resolve 9 with something. I cannot resolve with 3 or 4 (it contains constants).
Yes you can and you must... Read up on the sections of unification. It explains how to resolve variables with constants
May 21, 2012 04:29PM
To explain why you can do this:
Remenber when you removed the Universal Quantifiers?
Well ~Single(w) V Smoke(w) actually says All(w)(~Single(w) V Smoke(w))
Which means since John is single and does not smoke we have a contradiction.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login