Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TWOplusTWO thoughts

Posted by dve83 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
TWOplusTWO thoughts
February 29, 2012 11:07AM
So, how to solve TWOplusTWO=FOUR

constraints are

ALLDIFF
the four constratints regarding the carry over digits (if applicable)
and no leading zeros

They ask us to solve the cryptarithmic puzzle in image 6.2.

My thoughts are this:
choose the first variable as the one with the highest degree of constraints (thus variable O)
choose the value to insert into this variable by selecting the variable which is least constraining.

our goal here is to find the first solution, not all solutions.
thus backtracking means that: when I get to a chosen variable that has no legal values, I must backtrack to the previous variable and select a different value for it and then try the next variable again.
forward checking means that: when I fill a variable with value, I remove any illegal values from the next variables. If any of these variables left then have an empty domain, there exists no solution - thus we backtrack again.

Now my question:
Im setting up a grid like on page 218 of R&N. Ive got the six variables, which will all have an initial domain of {0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9}. Step one needs to select a value- how? -> the only method of obtaining the least constraining value is to set up this table / grid and work out the effects of all 9 assignments of the first variable. Thus a) I take assignment of value1 to variable O. b) I check the constraints and update the domains of the other variables.

Seems like a hell of a job to check everything. PLUS.. how far do you go. I give an example.

I take into account that I am only summing two rows, so the carry over wont be more than 1. (in order to get a carry over of 2, we need to get above 20 - which you cant becuase 9+9+1 = 19 = max;

let take for example: setting O = 2, this results in R being 4 automatically (the only value for the domain of R). This means that T + T must give you 2 one some way. There are two ways - with and without a carry digits. Without the carry digit, you can only get T + T = 2 by having T = 1. With the carry digit you need to find something that adds to 11 first, then we add the carry digit and get to 12. Thus T + T = 2 carry 1. However, I can find no such value (nothing equal to each other, and added to each other will give 11 because 11 mod 2 <> 0).

So okay if O=2, then R = 4 and T = 1 OR t = 6 (6+6=12 ; thus 2 carry 1)
HOWEVER, T cannot be 1. Why? Because if T were 1 then 1+1=2 but we would have no carry digit to the next column, THUS we would have F = 0 which is not allowed (not allowed to have leading zeros).

Are we suppose to go at it in this way? This means that for variable O we check all possible assignments to get the least constraining value. And I'm guessing there might be two values which constrain other equally.. what then (i guess we take the one with the highest degree of constraints as the tie breaker). (keeping in ming that if one of the domains become empty, the solution cannot be found, and we simply skip that assignment)

your thoughts and input appreciated.

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
Re: TWOplusTWO thoughts
March 23, 2012 11:37PM
Jeez, no replies.... I'll post my reply soon. It just looks so lonely in here

Alex
March 24, 2012 01:55PM
Hi, yup very little activity here.
I've submitted my assignment based on my thoughts above.
Lets hope its close enough to being correct smile but please, if you have any comments - do post. it helps to see another perspective.

now I've gotta finish up my assignment for mat2612..

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
March 25, 2012 12:48AM
Aah yes, Discrete Math. I took it last year... I'm thinking of doing combinatorics next semester.. little scared though.

Anyway this is what I've got for Question 2:

Constraints : (I left out the reasons, ask if need be)

ALLDIFF(T,W,O,F,U,A)
F = 1
T >= 6
O + O = R + C100
W + W = U + C1000
T + T = O + C10000

Then I did a little table thingy to show the steps of the backtracking

Language: CSS
---------T W O F U R RESULT   Init: 6-10 1-10 1-10 1 1-10 1-10   F=1 1 OK   T=6 6 2 1 2 BACKTRACK   T=7 7 4 1 8 OK   W=3 7 3 4 1 6 8 OK

Note : Really sorry but you are going to have to just follow the constraints with the forward checking because this WYSIWYG Editor is crap. Everything is in order though :/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login