Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Notes on Design Patterns

Posted by Japster 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Notes on Design Patterns
September 27, 2012 06:12PM
I would like to know if anyone has notes on the different design patterns we do in this module. The textbook, whether it is die actual book, or the one provided by UNISA is terrible. I have seen the extra stuff on the MyUnisa site, but it is also not that helpful. Can anyone please help
avatar Re: Notes on Design Patterns
September 28, 2012 02:44PM
If you found these sorts of websites unhelpful, I don't think there's a huge amount beyond that available online:

One of the usual culprits

What will help more than finding more resources is to really grok what is available. Examine it microscopically. Try changing things. Consider what the implications would be. Fiddle with the patterns instead of trying to just memorise them.

Apart from that you could try Osprey, but if you get any feedback at all it's likely to be the same kind of rubbish you can find on the archives. ie. ask specific questions that remain sticky when you've grokked one pattern.

And then obviously you shouldn't do this now, but maybe later go and look at the (ancient) MIT "Structure and Organization of Computer Programs" videos (even though it's one of the very lecturers you see there who has pushed to have that course discontinued at MIT). There you'll get a somewhat different approach to objects. For now, live as if objects are the only way, of course.
Re: Notes on Design Patterns
September 28, 2012 08:41PM
Thanks for the site, It is helpful thanks. I will just have to force and grind my teeth and get through this module. Then there is still the COS3751.....my last two, but the worste last two there can be...lol
avatar Re: Notes on Design Patterns
September 28, 2012 08:51PM
You can google up a few more of those. There aren't dozens, but you'll find it helps to get slightly different approaches, and different explanations. As I said, if you're lucky the best you can manage here is to come up with a good question that gets you a good answer. (And there I mean something specific. In such and such a pattern is this or that the better implementation is probably about the borderline between good question and wishy washy).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login