Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam Postmortem

Posted by Katy_Man 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam Postmortem
May 18, 2012 12:37PM
feel like crap rite now, this course is so frustrating, I mean it will take you more than an hour just to understand those problems. anyway, how did it go?
May 18, 2012 01:09PM
Yeah the questions were totally not those which we were served on assignments..... but am just hoping for the 35% mark to qualify 4 the sup.... was mind-opening nevertheless.... I will never underestimate the design patterns again... especially their implementations.... hope to regain my confidence with DATA STRUCTURES... can't fail both surely
Re: Exam Postmortem
May 18, 2012 02:17PM
Guys, we share the same views, this module is not easy. There was a question on implementing a file stystem class which was greek to me, i only managed the UML part (using chapter 9 knowledge). I see Directories and Files are chapter 8 stuff which is not in our syllabus, i am missing something guys?
May 18, 2012 03:42PM
Hi Guys,

I know the feeling and the frustrations you guys are going through, been there myself not long ago (6 months to be precise). I have written this module a number of times myself (going through frustrations) until I seeked help and had a change of approach. i don't want to say too much coz I'm also waiting for results after today's exams.

@roots, that question 3 where they had files and directories, was not really about Files and Directories; they were testing your understanding of the Composite design pattern. From Directories, sub-directories, and files you had to identify composite and leaf classes, then draw a UML to depict the relationships between these classes, modelling a Composite design pattern (which includes Component, Composite, and Leaf objects).

@ssmkhize, that rings a bell, last semester I said the samething myself when I saw the Product and FoodProduct classes I expected to be asked to implement them the same way we did in the assignments. But I have since realized that those assignment questions are there to prepare for similar scenarios ( as Assignment 02 question 02 should have prepared you for question 05 in today's exams). We try to relate the exams to the assignments and expect the same layout and structure, if it's different then we get shocked. I been guilty of doing the same, this module has prolonged my graduation since it is my very last and I've been very frustrated.

Good luck guys, the struggle continues.

Mzakesman
May 19, 2012 03:17AM
I got frustrated in the exam. Firstly I could not answer the first question let alone not completing a 16 marks question where you have to fill in the missing parts. I don't know how many times I will attempt this module, and what frustrates me most is that it is a barrier to registering for cos3711. I expected some short theory questions as in the previous exams- but there was only two or three of them. Those who where here last semester know what question 1 was in the exam, it was so theoretical you just needed to understand the basic concepts in order to answer that question. I expected things like that but there was no where to be seen a question like that, obviously a serializer question wouldn't have come out its been there a couple of times. Even the UML diagram they gave us was slightly confusing. For the Celeste something question we were given a member function part that was declared as double but when you calculate you have to use 24 which is int, I definitely didn't know what to do there I just used Double.ToInt which I have never seen before. The exam was not that much difficult its just that it was a bit tricky. For example the BMI question was tricky, but it was only 6 marks which is good. Knowledge of assignments won't help that much in problems like that.

Well done to those who hope they might had succeeded in this module.
May 19, 2012 07:41AM
ssmkhize

your year mark won't be considered if you score below 40% in the exam, you have to re-register for the module again. For me nothing makes me happy other than 50% and above. i.e:

if(mark >= 50)
feel = "happy";
else
feel = "sad";
May 20, 2012 02:56PM
Yah, they keeping moving goal posts these people. you never know what to expect coz every year their exam format changes. their UML questions disgust me, i know UML like the back of my hand but they ask them with intention to confuse candidates. assignments are easy. their subscribed book is more of QT4 documentation or manual than an academic book. thus where the problem is

I should have finished my BSC Software engineering in 2010 but this module has been a hindrance. Is the only Module i'm left with. I chose other third year modules that did not require these module as prereq and passed them without problem. the fill in question was the worse of them all. it was not suited for an exam. the explanation of the question was almost half of the page. thus were it killed me. I got frustrated trying to comprehend it with the clock ticking away and I left it. that where I feel I messed up. I should have started with it coz it was the easiest of them all. Enough venting

@ZakesMan. where did you get help from mate? I attempted this module four times and every time I get between 45 and 47%.

@Ntobeko don't do COS3711, people say is more evil than this one. Choose other modules. COS 3701, graphics, artificial intelligence, Operating System are much better
May 21, 2012 09:18AM
@Katy Man, your Unisa frustrations are exactly like mine, I've also written this module four times, also the only one holding me from graduating, same frustrations as you. Are you in Jo'burg or not?
May 23, 2012 04:20PM
@ Zakesman, i'm an international student but I come to Joburg more often. I will inbox so that we can communicate
May 23, 2012 04:38PM
You can contact me on
May 25, 2012 03:04PM
Wow thanks for the advice... but I was under the impression that Operating Systems and Architecture is the harder course and of couse Human computer interaction is simplish...... #Reconsidering this now
May 26, 2012 07:05PM
@ssmkhize, I did both COS3721 and INF320, they much easier to comprehend and your chances of passing them are great. INF320 requires you to have done INF120 though. I enjoyed doing those two subjects, hope you also do if you choose to them.
May 28, 2012 10:15AM
Operating System is very simple, Exam questions are exactly like assignments questions, with Graphics, there is too much theory, but easy to pass coz same questions are asked every year. the problem with QT4 is you can fail even if you kno the contents
July 05, 2012 03:50PM
What are they cooking Pepo, I mean 18 May and no results yet. wow. me think the passin mark was not good and they are planning something else I call this incomptence. Lol.
funny how I think I can snatch a pass while in reality I flopped
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login