Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PHP Four - Working with HTML Forms - PHP and HTML Checkboxes

Posted by 77469917-Dfreeman 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: PHP Four - Working with HTML Forms - PHP and HTML Checkboxes
March 02, 2012 11:47PM
quit tricky chapter for me i keep forgetting <BR>
March 03, 2012 12:00AM
the radio buttons that i have done while i couldn't figure out the coding for the exercises i found easier than i expected, i have practiced it,
and I find it very interesting, as the javascript coding looks so much more complicated than what the php version of coding appears, i suppose for javascript to be used, it takes quite a few more characters than the amount php uses.
March 03, 2012 10:30PM
I completed the section.

All I wondered about was for what reason in HTML someone would use the GET method rather than POST method.
avatar Re: PHP Four - Working with HTML Forms - PHP and HTML Checkboxes
March 04, 2012 02:32AM
I believe the POST is better than the GET because it tends to secure your form from exposing information on the URL thereby encrypting data during operations. Check out this link http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/methods.html and gain more knowledge about it.
March 04, 2012 11:01AM
Good website for progamming Q&A, if you haven't ever used it - http://stackoverflow.com/
March 04, 2012 07:58PM
Finished,

This section was great, as a front end developer I never really understood how a form worked or what you could do with the data that the user inputted.
March 05, 2012 11:42AM
Done with this section
And all the lazy kidz like me who dont wanna read juss watch the tutorials with me at php academy

or here
March 07, 2012 12:04PM
Just in case others have not noticed and are getting strange results... the tutorial (section 7 of PHP4) has an error - the line:

Language: PHP
if (isset($_POST[';Submit';])) {

should be:

if (isset($_POST[';Submit1';])) {

i.e. should check the NAME attribute (Submit1) of the submit button, not the TYPE attribute.
March 07, 2012 01:03PM
In the radio buttons section - perhaps a good idea to check if a radio button has been selected when submit is pressed (else you get annoying "Undefined index: gender" message) i.e. check first if 'gender' has been set:
<?PHP $male_status = ';unchecked';; $female_status = ';unchecked';; if (isset($_POST[';Submit1';])) { if (isset($_POST[';gender';])) { $selected_radio = $_POST[';gender';]; print $selected_radio; if ($selected_radio == ';male';) { $male_status = ';checked';; } else if ($selected_radio == ';female';) { $female_status = ';checked';; } }else {print("Please select an item!");}; }   ?>

Then at least you can give your user a meaningful message i.e "Please select an item!"
March 07, 2012 01:35PM
Section completed.
March 07, 2012 02:08PM
Completed the session and here is a link to a tutorial that will show you hw to submit the data into a data base and query the validity of the username from a database click me!!
March 08, 2012 02:57PM
Another useful if else statements...

<?PHP $male_status = ';innocent';; if (!empty($male_status)) : echo ';Available';; else : echo ';Not Available';; endif; ?>
March 08, 2012 09:52PM
Hi 77570952

Your code helped me with something I was struggling with,good one.
Thanxsmile
March 10, 2012 11:27AM
This is what I have done over the weekend.
<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Apache testing</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <form action = "page.php" method="post"> username <input type = "text" name="username" /><br /> password <input type = "password" name="pass" /><br /> <input type="submit" value="log in" /> </form> </BODY> </HTML>

<?php $username = $_POST[';username';]; $password = $_POST[';pass';];   $user = ';shelley';; $pass = 1234; if (($username == $user) && ($password == $pass)) echo ';Successfull';; else echo ';Try again';; ?>

Creating a login form with the database.
<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Apache testing</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> Login <form action = "page.php" method="post"> username <input type = "text" name="username" /><br /> password <input type = "password" name="pass" /><br /> <input type="submit" value="log in" /> </form> <a href="register.php">Register</a> </BODY> </HTML>

Connecting information to the database.
<?php $username = $_POST[';username';]; $password = $_POST[';pass';];   $con = mysql_connect(';localhost';, ';root';, ';';); mysql_select_db(';shelley';, $con); mysql_query("INSERT INTO users (username, password) VALUES (';$username';, $password)"); ?>
March 10, 2012 12:51PM
I have retrieved data from the database and compared it to the information provided by the form.
<?php $username = $_POST[';username';]; $password = $_POST[';pass';];   $con = mysql_connect(';localhost';, ';root';, ';';); mysql_select_db(';shelley';, $con); $RESULT = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = ';$username'; AND password = $password"); $count = mysql_num_rows($RESULT); if ($count > 1) echo ';Welcome';; else echo ';Loser';; ?>
March 10, 2012 03:26PM
Ok, you've already hooked up the form with a database - I have to catch up, btw completed section 4, albeit slow and steady.
March 11, 2012 11:08AM
Completed this section.....and l am busy trying to figure out how to upload images using php ie profile pictures....
any help will be greatly appreciated
March 11, 2012 03:47PM
Guyz there is a site that will surely help you because it works for me.
The site is www.w3schools.com
March 12, 2012 09:38PM
mm. forms seem to make sense but boggles the mind ! Hope I can keep it all together
March 12, 2012 10:05PM
mind boggling ! Done
April 15, 2012 09:15PM
Done.
April 17, 2012 09:16AM
Hi

For me to allow for registration of multiply courses i have a multiply select html element to allow for that.
To insert into a database, i have glued all the courses with |.
For example,
$courses = array(';PHP';, ';HTML';, ';DATABASES';, ';AJAX';, ';JQUERY';); $courses = implode(';|';, $courses);
And i insert the courses variable into courses table.

Any quicker way i can do this?
Mac
April 17, 2012 09:57AM
I want some discussion on this by other students.
April 17, 2012 11:22AM
77592972_innocent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi
>
> For me to allow for registration of multiply
> courses i have a multiply select html element to
> allow for that.
> To insert into a database, i have glued all the
> courses with |.
> For example,
>
> $courses = array(';PHP';, ';HTML';, ';DATABASES';, > ';AJAX';, ';JQUERY';); > $courses = implode(';|';, $courses); >
> And i insert the courses variable into courses
> table.
>
> Any quicker way i can do this?

I've gone the exact same route except I used tickboxes and not a multiple select.

I read all the ticked boxes into an array, and then implode it into a string.
Then feed my array containing my student, along with the courses string, into my function, exploding it, and adding the data to the course_student table.
April 18, 2012 01:18PM
Hi guys

I have created a nice way of recording how long a script tabke to execute.
From the start page i have this code,
define(';PAGE_PARSE_START_TIME';, microtime());

At the end of every page i have the following,
if (STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME == ';true';) { $time_start = explode('; ';, PAGE_PARSE_START_TIME); $time_end = explode('; ';, microtime()); $parse_time = number_format(($time_end[1] + $time_end[0] - ($time_start[1] + $time_start[0])), 3); error_log(strftime(STORE_PARSE_DATE_TIME_FORMAT) . '; - '; . getenv(';REQUEST_URI';) . '; ('; . $parse_time . ';s)'; . "\n", 3, STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME_LOG);   if (DISPLAY_PAGE_PARSE_TIME == ';true';) { echo ';<span class="smallText">Parse Time: '; . $parse_time . ';s</span>';; } }

In this way, in every page it shows how long does a script take to execute.
I use the error_log set to 3 and it will append the file
April 18, 2012 01:21PM
I too have completed this section.thumbs up
April 22, 2012 07:52PM
Thanks Innocent and Alwyn,

I was just about to write a post about this but was looking first to see if anyone had a similar problem. I also wanted to use checkboxes to select multiple courses but was trying to figure out how to put all the selected values into the database, so I will try your method by feeding the selected courses into an array and see if that works for me ^_^ Thanks for posting that here, it helped!
April 23, 2012 07:57AM
77570952-Sian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Innocent and Alwyn,
>
> I was just about to write a post about this but
> was looking first to see if anyone had a similar
> problem. I also wanted to use checkboxes to select
> multiple courses but was trying to figure out how
> to put all the selected values into the database,
> so I will try your method by feeding the selected
> courses into an array and see if that works for me
> ^_^ Thanks for posting that here, it helped!

Glad we could help man
April 25, 2012 12:08AM
So feeding the checked courses into an array and posting to the database worked really well for me for adding a new student. The problem I am having now is when you update a student's details. Because the form to edit the student's details must already be populated with the student's existing details when being edited, I have gotten stuck on how to make sure that the checkboxes for the courses the student has registered for are checked when editing.

I am using this code to build the checkboxes:

<?php $coursesql = "SELECT * FROM course";     $courseresult = mysql_query($coursesql) or die ("Invalid query: " . mysql_error());     while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($courseresult)) {     $cid = $row[';cid';]; $cname = $row[';cname';];   ?>     <input type = ';checkbox'; name =';courseselect[]'; value ="<?php echo $cid; ?>" onclick="setItems(this)" /> <?php echo $cname; ?> <br/>     <?php } ?>

So I know I need to query the course_student table to get all the courses that are related to the student being edited, but what would be a good way to then get the registered courses to be checked?
Mac
April 25, 2012 06:52AM
You can use and if statement

if($value_in_db > 0) { //assuming you used 0 and 1 to indicate it is checked $checked=';checked';; } echo "<input type....... $checked>; //
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.