Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 1

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Assignment 1
October 07, 2011 12:34PM
The main purpose of the assignment was not so much the PHP code - it was opening, registering an account on and successfully using the web server. You have learned much more than the few lines of code you had to write. So even if you got that code from a buddy of yours, you had to do the site yourself, so a successful site counted the most in this assignment.

I sometimes have to wonder if some students bother to read instructions? The assignment instructions are clear - create an index.php page. Send an email to..include the URL and code...submit a copy via myUnisa. ..visit your web site at least once a month else it is automatically deleted... . Yet I received about 40% myUnisa submissions with no corresponding email to me. They cannot all be lost in virtuality....? Or there is not a submission through myUnisa. Or your web site has been deleted (I assume) because you cannot maintain it. Or you want to submit your portfolio via Unsia when you must not. Stuff like that kept me busy for hours.

Note you do not get the assignment back - this is a portfolio (you keep on adding to it) and the only reason you submitted it via myUnisa is to get it registered on their system. I have sent a few scripts back though. In general, if you only sent me code with no site, you immediately lost 50% or more marks, depending on what the rest of your code looked like.

You had to use PHP to echo the information, as well as a PHP function to generate today's date (it is covered in the tutorial in section 11), so just printing the date you completed the assignment (or read the tut letter!) is not what was asked! There are various ways to have done it, all correct.

Language: PHP
$name = "John"; $surname = "Doe"; $student_number = "12345678";   echo "Name : $name"; echo "Surname : $surname"; echo "Student number : $student_number"; echo date("d-m-Y"); // or simply   echo "John"; echo "Doe"; echo "12345678"; echo date("d-m-Y");

Re: Assignment 1
October 07, 2011 02:03PM
Hello Mac, the first codes that were submitted for assignment 1, were from FWHA which was later discovered that their servers are not reliable. We opted for other webhosting sites which made us not to focus on the FWHA anymore. Please consider the codes sent to you regardless of the existence of the websites.
Mac
October 07, 2011 04:56PM
A posted elsewhere in this forum, you could have used any service you wanted. See, my comment about students not reading communication is valid smiling smiley
October 10, 2011 03:09PM
I only got 60% for this assignment. Don't know what i did wrong. confused smiley
Are you (Mr. Mac) going to send back all of the students work? Just out of curiosity because I don't know where I made my mistake.

Melissa
October 10, 2011 03:13PM
By the look of things, Mr Mac is not easily impressed. I think we have a lot to do in order for him to give us distinctions. I am Scared
October 10, 2011 04:23PM
Hi Mac, and of course hi everyone.
I did not yet receive my mark for the first assignment. Is there any problem or I just have to be patient. I am a little bit concerned.
Thx.
Mac
October 11, 2011 06:57AM
Well, you can work out from the above. If you feel your mark is not what it should be, then you can mail me. But be sure of your facts please - I am not going to add 5% here or there. Capturing mistakes do creep in now and then.
Mac
October 11, 2011 07:01AM
jdfkat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Mac, and of course hi everyone.
> I did not yet receive my mark for the first
> assignment. Is there any problem or I just have to
> be patient. I am a little bit concerned.
> Thx.

It should have been captured. Give it a day or two them mail me.
October 16, 2011 10:17AM
100%smoking smiley
October 19, 2011 08:45AM
hi sir

worried even today still waiting for my assingment..sad smiley
Mac
October 19, 2011 10:49AM
Email assignments asking them to resend the assignment to me. Maybe it got lost.
October 25, 2011 01:42PM
I gort zero for my assignment 1 how come.. should i be worried that the assignment is going to affect my portfolio mark at the end of the semester
Mac
October 25, 2011 02:02PM
As said, maybe it was captured wrong. I'll check tomorrow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login