Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which server to use

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Which server to use
August 04, 2011 04:46PM
On FWHA you should refrain from using 6te.net - it is slow and generally unstable.

I have just had a report that FWHA is down? It appears to be the case. Welcome to the world of servers!

Read on.

You also do not have to use FWHA - there are many alternatives available. Part of the portfolio challenge is to open an account, upload your files, create a database etc. I purposely do not provide ALL the details on how to do it, since it is part of the learning curve. I am not going to feed you i.e. you just retype from examplessmiling smiley Doing it with EasyPHP or XAMPP on your PC gives you some experience... doing it on a server is just reading their documentation carefully.

Choose any other free web hosting service (see, you are learning already that there ARE free servers available!). Simply Google for "free web hosting PHP MySQL"
There are many other options. Just be sure you read their terms and conditions. They all have documentation/sections that explains it step by step. For example, you need to use the account at least once a month or it gets deleted.
August 05, 2011 09:24AM
Re: Which server to use
August 12, 2011 02:07PM
Try this site,it works fine.

http://www.zymic.com/
August 14, 2011 11:39PM
Thank you Mahobela, the zymic works perfectly on my side. It is a huge task though, sometimes the Mylife email filters their activation link, also their captcha screen doesn't appear when using windows explorer and appears on mozilla firefox or google chrome. Please people Google, Google & Google.
September 18, 2011 05:15PM
Hello Mac

I have used 6te Freeoda.com as mysql database and i have completed my hole portfolio already.
It works fine every time i visit my site too.
I am now ready to e mail my PHP program and URL to xxxx )edited: do not post my email address on the forum - spam robots pick it up.
Do i have to change my database and is it to early to e mail my portfolio ?

Regards,
Evert
Mac
September 19, 2011 06:47AM
You can mail it if you want. Remember to visit your site every now and then else it gets turned off. The 5te may work now, but generally it is unstable sad smiley Perhaps just now it over to a new server - you have time?
September 20, 2011 08:59PM
Hi Mac

I will e mail it through soon , i am going to the outback soon for 3 months and reception is not good there.
But i will try and check up if 6te is still working closer to the submission date and change the server if necessary.
And e mail again of coarse.

Regards,
Evert
October 27, 2011 09:41AM
Hi Mac, I am done with my site and have uploaded the .php files but when i try to import my database to the 6te.freewebhosting area's phpmyadmin it does not allow me, I dont thing the user account that I have been assigned has sufficient rights, can you suggest an alternate online host?
Mac
October 27, 2011 10:05AM
Why do you not just open up a new FWHA account. You must have the rights - you are just doing something wrong.... read everything they give/sent you

Nope, you will have to search and see whcih one works best and is easiest to register for.
October 27, 2011 10:15AM
Well it seems as if, the default database they assign me is the only database I can use....I can create tables on the database. That data base is my phpmyadmin username....I think I will have to create the tables in that database. I did create another one but that one also does not have any privileges. They only allow one to create more databases if you only sign up for the priced hosting.
Mac
October 27, 2011 10:25AM
You only need one database. Using the provileges they gave you on the default database they created for you, can create as many tables as you want.
October 27, 2011 12:33PM
OK cool, thanks for the assistance. I have uploaded the site and it works fine, should I send you the link to the site and a zip file of all the php documents including the database?
October 27, 2011 01:17PM
Sir, I need your advice please, my list page gives me the following error message. But the file is there uploaded with other files. On my local server it works perfectly, I am almost giving up now please help.

http://e.freewebhostingarea.com/not-found.html
Mac
October 27, 2011 02:15PM
Page not found means it is not there/the link is spelled incorrectly/CaSe is different etc. It being there does not mean it is referenced correctly.
October 27, 2011 03:03PM
Thank u sir, it works now!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login