Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Final project Criteria

Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Final project Criteria
October 04, 2011 05:51PM
Hi

I'm just checking the Letter we got and it says there that we will be getting more information on the criteria later in the course, but I haven't got any further info on the criteria.

And if we are going to get them, when can we expect them or not...?!?

Thanks Jason
Mac
confused smiley Re: Final project Criteria
October 05, 2011 06:39AM
The evaluation will be based on the criteria as listed below which serve as general Web page design guidelines.
It is useful to use a rating from 1 to 5/10 (1 is poor, 5 is excellent), for the the seven factors Usability, Navigation, Graphic Design, Content, Compatibility, Load Time, and Functionality, in a checklist-based evaluation of Web sites. Note that usability is the preferred term for user-friendly or ease-of-use. Load time may be ignored because of free web hosting issues. Functionality is all encompassing

An explanation of the seven factors are:

Usability: i.e. the ease of use/user friendly. Quality of the interaction. Incorporates all other six aspects listed below.
Navigation: Links that are clearly visible, make sense, and are not broken. Also an indication of where one is on a large web site such as Home->Products->Downloads. Answers the two questions: Where am I? Where can I go?
Graphics Design: Appropriate format (jpg (bitmap photos) or gif (bitmap sketches, line-drawings, animations) or flash (vector, animation, video), small picture sizes, number of colours, lossless vs. lossy compression. Could also include page layout here.
Content: good trustworthy frequently updated/changed and clear content that keeps the user engaged/entertained.
Compatibility: with a wide range of browsers (Opera, Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Netscape) and browser versions (Internet Explorer versions 4-7). Also compatible with a wide range of users (age, disability, computer skills, male/female etc). Load time: fast load times (less than 10 seconds). Vector graphics very small (flash). Higher graphics compression with fewer colours, smaller pixel sizes, and lossy compression.
Functionality: supports the user in his/her task. For example bookshop must enable the user to do everything he/she needs to do in an intuitive way to browse and then purchase books. It is the number of functions (things that can be done) available on the site.

The above are wide ranging descriptions - do not follow it to the letter (i.e. test it for all browsers) but understand the general principle and take it forward with you in your career.
confused smiley Re: Re: Final project Criteria
October 05, 2011 03:51PM
Hi thanks a lot it helps me.

Appreciate it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Re: Final project Criteria
October 05, 2011 11:33PM
Now thats alot to consider, but it makes sense for all the future projects,will note everything down for sure
October 09, 2011 11:36AM
can we use other styles outside 'Internet and Web Design' textbook like drop down menus and the likes?
Mac
October 10, 2011 06:37AM
You are free to use whatever you want....
October 10, 2011 02:01PM
Thank you, Mac, it is now clear what we are suppose to do.Thank you again.
October 10, 2011 02:52PM
So We can use anything we want. We can do our site only with HTML code...or Css...use Javascript...The choice is ours?
October 10, 2011 10:38PM
Thanks Mac.

Are we allowedconfused smiley to change the URL address from the first assignment to a new one on the final project?
Mac
October 11, 2011 07:03AM
Lixogram-77330439 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So We can use anything we want. We can do our site
> only with HTML code...or Css...use
> Javascript...The choice is ours?

No, you must use all you have learned... you are free to add other stuff
Mac
October 11, 2011 07:06AM
Khanyisani-77341260 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Mac.
>
> Are we allowedconfused smiley to change the URL address from
> the first assignment to a new one on the final
> project?

Yes, you are.
October 11, 2011 12:15PM
Thanks Mac!
avatar Re: Final project Criteria
October 18, 2011 09:11AM
Hi, what is the date that you have to complete the final project?

Michael - 083 676 4931
October 18, 2011 09:31AM
Found it
28 October
Thanks

Michael - 083 676 4931
uju
October 19, 2011 02:52PM
Thanks
October 23, 2011 10:07AM
Mac,

At the rsik of sounding dumb?

For the final project - you require us to submit a website showing all we have learned from this course.

Please clarify , that marks will be allocated for clear basic websites, I am not ready for the very Flashy type websites, I feel this course has started me out, but obviously I still need to learn a lot more. Starting this course I have had no prior knowledge of HTML, CSS and Javascript. I am enjoying it.

I guess my question is: will I loose marks in the final portfolio, if I submit a basic website that includes all the criteria required, but have no dancing babies and holywood lights?
Mac
October 24, 2011 08:12AM
Clear basic website.
October 24, 2011 08:25AM
Great - thanks, I was worried
October 25, 2011 10:24AM
Hi

How does one test compatibility with I.E.4?
October 25, 2011 12:29PM
Dear Leilani

Google "Internet explorer 4 download", download and install it. Then open and test your website using IE4. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Mac
October 25, 2011 02:04PM
No one uses IE4 anymore...
October 25, 2011 03:56PM
Hi Mac,
My website is complete (at long last hot smiley) I just need to confirm something...
The website is compatible with all browsers..... but.... the font changes in google chrome (only in google chrome) from arial to times roman (I really can not figure out why)... What I need to confirm is that if my font doesn't show as arial in google chrome will there be points deducted?
My CSS is in a different folder than my HTML pages. Should I delete the link to the CSS folder and type the CSS in each HTML folder?

Thankssmile
Mac
October 26, 2011 07:58AM
Font does not matter. Put CSS in a folder named CSS and point to it from all pages - that makes it easy to change the CSS in one place wit hthe effect across all your pages.
October 26, 2011 12:49PM
Thanks Mac,
My CSS is already in a different folder so I will leave it as it is.... I will then submit my website today grinning smiley
October 26, 2011 01:05PM
Hi

I'm having a big problem with my last page, Active participation, as my images are not working when i click on the button, they not changing, and i've tried changing the location and address of the images on the ftp. Tried putting them in a file "javascript" and i can't get it to work and now this is my 4th day i'm trying to get this to work and now i need help.
Please could you advise me on what i can do as not sure now.

Thanks
Jason 77335392
October 26, 2011 01:25PM
Jason - I understood we only need to copy and paste our participation chats on the Forum.
The list must them be numbered.
October 26, 2011 01:41PM
Ya i know but i've done alot extra on my site, things beyond the book, because i finished last month and this month i was adding extra's, but i've copied and pasted the chats and did roll over images and linked it to the osprey site so ya
October 27, 2011 12:05PM
In few words, how do I submit my portfolio? Should I just send the link by e-mail(the same e-mail from the assignment 1)? Thank you
October 27, 2011 12:50PM
Hi Lixogram-77330439

Yes send it to the same email as assignment 1, in the following format: In the subject line: Portfolio: Your name and surname: your student number. Your URL to your website in the body.
October 27, 2011 12:55PM
...and remember to send it using your myLife email address.
October 27, 2011 01:01PM
Thank You Ligo smiling smiley
October 28, 2011 11:41AM
My site despayse broken wen it is oploded i yus want to knowe is it stil wifit to send it in ore will there be nowe points given fore a broken page???
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login