Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2 Question 3

Posted by PretoriaSux 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
July 12, 2011 01:13PM
Hi Guys,

Please have a look at Assignment 4 Question 3. Are we supposed to pick our own journal article from the UNISA Library (Science Direct or other journal database) or must we select from the articles listed on page 24 of tut letter INF417N/101/0/2011. I would assume that we must use the articles from Page 24 but I just want confirmation.
Re: Assignment 2 Question 3
July 12, 2011 02:30PM
The 'Assignment details' section states "you will be required to make extensive use of references in addition to those listed for this assignment". So probably best to do as much reading as you can, over and above that suggested.
avatar Re: Assignment 2 Question 3
July 14, 2011 12:39PM
I just chose articles from the list of additional reading
July 15, 2011 01:24PM
Since the question says to search for and identify and article, I think it means we need to actually use one not mentioned.
July 15, 2011 02:52PM
Assisgnment 2 or assignment 4? Thread name is Assignement 2, but first post refers to assignment 4.
July 15, 2011 03:22PM
Since assignment 2 is due next and there is no assignment 4...

This question is frustrating me now - most articles I've looked at just investigates some aspect of open source software, I haven't seen one yet that actually researches a problem within OSS

On another note, 4.1 asks for the complete source of the article - I assume this is basically the reference? Where we got it and where it was published etc?
"Complete source" makes it sound like they want the whole article - but I suppose that's just my mind going to "complete source code"
July 15, 2011 06:01PM
Thats why I think the articles in Tut 101 are for the assignment. The content of the articles has been specifically targetted to assignment 2...

The reference is just the information you would have put in the bibliography.
July 17, 2011 08:18PM
Hi Guys,

I mailed our lecturer and she replied that we should find our own articles and not use the articles in the "Additional Resources" section.

Also apologies for making a mistake with the thread subject and my first post. Both should read Assignment 2 Question 4!!!

And what do you know! my.UNISA.ac.za is down (Most of Sunday 17 July)
July 18, 2011 08:05AM
myUnisa will be down til tomorrow, it was on the front page news - they did say that the library should still be available
July 18, 2011 08:56AM
FYI: my first comment was based on assignment 4 (it does exist but is not for submission).

I don't think it matters that you can't find a specific 'problem' that is addressed. 'Problem' could be taken to mean topic of investigation. In my opinion, this part of the assignment is more about being able to find your own research article(s) within a broad area of knowledge and then critically analyse the content of them & compare to other sources(text book in this case), than hone in on any specific area (read: particular problem) within an area of knowledge. And then you should also be able to use a reference technique, hence part 1 of the question. Research skills are an essential part of honours.
July 18, 2011 09:14AM
If you look at the questions though...

3 "what was the problem"

5 "how did they tackle the problem"

6 "how did they implement a solution"

7 "what was the result"

you can't just go and take any article - I had one that was about requirements elicitation in opensource, they mostly just wrote about how it happens etc - which means that there is no answer for q's 3, 5-7
July 18, 2011 10:27AM
As I don't have the article, I can't comment on specifics, but I would see if it is possible to re-interpret these questions from the perspective of the article, e.g.
3. what was the topic of investigation (requirements elicitation in OSS)?
5. from what angle did they investigate or write about requirements elicitation in OSS (i.s. why did they find it necessary to write this article or do this investigation or research? What gap in the knowledge of requirements elicitation in OSS were they trying to address?)
6. What changed from before (from the old way of doing requirements elicitation in OSS compared to their way), i.e. did they recommend new things or find new things about requirements elicitation or try out something new in OSS that wasn't done before and how did they do this?
7. What was the outcome? Did they find any problems with whatever they said should be done, or do they have any recommendations for further research or have they identified shorcomings in their approach?

The questions we have to use to analyse the articles are fairly generic wrt critically evaluating any research article. You need to look at what the questions are actually getting at and apply them to the article in question. A good research article should address all these issues (questions) and if they don't, you must say so and point out the poor quality of the research/article (and say why it is poor quality - i.e,. back up everything you say).
July 18, 2011 12:49PM
Oh well, mine is already submitted and I used the additional articles. Kind of strange that they didnt want us to use them since all those additional articles were geared directly toward assignment 2.

Anyway, I wont be the only one who did so.
July 29, 2013 03:08PM
Hi

Please advise if you can assist me. I need help with this assignment..
Below is the question...can you assist?

Thanks

Stuck and confused...

PART III:
For this part of the assignment, you need to conduct independent research.
Prepare a five-page article (including references) that discusses the benefits and software engineering challenges associated with aspect-orientation. In your article, examine the impact of Aspect-oriented Programming on software quality, modularity, maintainability and reusability in comparison to Object-Oriented programming.
Note:
? Do not merely paraphrase the prescribed material.
? You are required to refer to at least TEN articles. Reference journal articles and conference proceedings.
? Use the Harvard referencing method.
? Provide in-text citation when you provide information about the source in the main text (body) of the paper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login