Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cancelation of subject in 2012

Posted by 3dd 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
3dd
Cancelation of subject in 2012
March 02, 2011 01:17PM
Hi guys, maybe someone can help. I'm have to take this subject next year to finish my degree, but it will not be offered. The new project module has new pre requisites, so does this now mean I'll have to take an extra year to complete my degree.

This does not seem fair, as there is no way that someone that registered this year for the first time, can take the project module next year, or are they allowing us to take the module even without finishing the pre requisites.

Any thoughts?
Re: Cancelation of subject in 2012
March 11, 2011 08:40PM
It is actually sad that the streams are changing. The information systems stream and the computer science streams are merging together into a new stream, but with information systems as the dominant. A lot of the computer science modules, like cos405, cos408, and cos416 is gone next year. In my opinion, this modules define the computer science stream. It gives you good insight of the maths and science involved to make everything of the computing world possible. They are the primary building stones of the computing world.

If you register this year for the first time, I think it is a little bit unfair for you guys. They have to have some provision to accommandate you in the stream changing process. All that I know is that if you are already registered you must PASS this year in order to obtain your Computer Science BSc Hons degree. Or else they are going to migrate you to the new Computing BSc Hons stream, I think. I don't like the new one at all, so I better study continuously hard and bag the bugger.

In my opinion, the "Computer Science BSc Hons" is more computing scientific, and "Computing BSc Hons" sounds more IT like (diploma junkie material). I guess I'm a little bit of an academic snob (inherited from my father - MSc in Geology).
3dd
Re: Cancelation of subject in 2012
March 12, 2011 08:19AM
Yep is does seem strange that they just changed it up. Unfortunatly it's imposible for me to pass everyting this year (Which sucks), at least I am doind 5 Cos subjects this year, hopefully they still count towards my degree, and I'll just do all the other cos subjects next year. Luckily I'll still end up with all the CS theory as those are the subjects I have taken this year.

But who knows whats going to happen next year, and with all unisa corespondance, they still haven't answered my email about this.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login