Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fellow students

Posted by pruthven 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Fellow students
May 26, 2011 04:25PM
Hi guys,

Who else is taking this subject this year? How is it going?
May 26, 2011 08:44PM
I am taking it.

How did you find the first assignment?
May 29, 2011 12:49PM
I am also doing COS430B along with 6 other modules. I find the material easy but the volume of work for this module is very high. It takes time work through some concepts and I submitted the first assignments with a few question marks hanging over my answers.
May 30, 2011 09:28AM
Yeah me too (question marks). There is quite a lot of learning to be done with this module, but if your memory is good you should be fine. I have 9 other modules.
Re: Fellow students
May 30, 2011 09:39AM
Yeah, it's quite a bit of work to get through. I started going a bit late, and found myself struggling to complete assignment 1. But it's quite interesting.
July 18, 2011 08:08PM
I find the module very challenging. I am doing 10 modules and the others are fine apart from this one and INF483Y
January 11, 2012 10:53AM
Everyone ready for the exams?
January 25, 2012 02:12PM
Nope, haven't started studying yet.
I'll start tonight with the 980 page textbook. eye rolling smiley
January 25, 2012 03:24PM
I will begin studying when I get back from my exam tomorrow. I have gone through the work once, highlighting the important things, but from tomorrow I will use the past exams and assignments to determine the most important sections to cover.
January 29, 2012 05:29PM
Supplementary, here I come!
January 29, 2012 07:55PM
There is potential for some insane questions to come up, but I dont think they will. I think if you know the basics for the main concepts, you should be ok. The MPC questions in the past paper some some mean questions though. Also, some calculations require the use of calculators (mainly in the security section), so they wont ask that. The security section was more detailed than INF431 (information security), which is funny. Anyway, despite security being applicable to networking, I dont think many questions will be asked on it (since it isnt networking specifically).

Just learn the basic concepts, in particular, be able to explain things in given diagrams found through out the book. And be able to do the simple calculations. I am a bit annoyed that they ask stuff pertaining to codes in packet strings, there are so many to learn, and how do you know which is which? In practice, a reference will be used anyway. Same goes for any of the packet configurations.
January 30, 2012 12:37AM
anyone else still awake?

@SCag The codes in packet strings are annoying, I only learnt the ones from the tuts and past exam.

@PretoriaSux If you can answer the majority of what's in the past exam and 4 tuts, then you should be fine, it covers the majority of the book, i think...

This will hopefully be my last honours exam, *touch wood* smileys with beer assuming i pass that is...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login