Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Student Registration Page - Course Name field?

Posted by fionam 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Student Registration Page - Course Name field?
October 23, 2011 06:01PM
This is probably a stupid question but I just want to confirm that, as there is no field in the student table related to course name on the Student registration page that this field will need to be populated by and updated from the cname field in the course table.

Also, why is it that everything makes perfect sense when you are working through examples but when you come try to write the code yourself everything suddenly doesn't make sense?confused smiley Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Mac
Re: Student Registration Page - Course Name field?
October 24, 2011 08:10AM
Yes.
October 24, 2011 09:51AM
Yip all the time, I google for examples A LOTeye popping smiley

Then when Im not sure of something I check the older posts on the forum.
Try out all the examples the ones on the cd, the textbook and as many other examples you can find online till you reach the point were it works happens... You will find that you eventually come across a lot of examples of one thing being done in so many different ways, but you will find one that suits your needs.
Some days are very un progressive angry smiley and other days I feel like im taking over the world. hot smiley
It's a lot of work for our first time with php, but dont give up thumbs up
avatar Re: Student Registration Page - Course Name field?
October 24, 2011 10:48AM
Agreed. That's also what I've been doing but my biggest worry is that I'm not doing my own work. I know this was dealt with in another thread but where does your work end and plagiarism start in this context?

Looking at the examples I can see how and why they work, but I would never, at this stage, be able to code like that straight out of my head! And that's what has got me worried right now. Am I plagriarising or am I, simply by using the right piece of code and adapting it, showing that I know what I'm doing? I'm finding that I haven't had enough time to absorb the structure of the code as much as I would have liked to, no matter how many examples I've worked through. I've also found the various ways/styles of coding quite mind-boggling and start to panic because I begin to wonder what the best way is of doing it. Is there a best way?

julienne
Some days are very un progressive and other days I feel like im taking over the world.

Oh yes, I know that feeling well. smile
Mac
October 24, 2011 11:23AM
If code is available online then you can use it. As simple as that.
avatar Re: Student Registration Page - Course Name field?
October 24, 2011 12:13PM
Thanks Mac. That's a relief. I've been having some serious blank moments in the past few weeks wondering if I was just not suited to being a PHP coder. I guess it would be too much to expect to pull all of the code straight out of your head at this stage. Now if only I'd realised that earlier ... I would have finished the project by now. eye rolling smiley
October 27, 2011 10:02PM
THAT PHP FOR YOU....YES SOMETIMES THING DONT MAKE SENSE BUT WHEN U KEEP TRYING AND NOT GIVING UP ALL WILL BE WELL....I ENJOYED THE COURSE
October 27, 2011 10:37PM
Hi Fiona,

You come right? please let us know maybe we can try help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login