Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you know which topic they testing? (Practice 6, Q1)

Posted by Kerneels 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
How do you know which topic they testing? (Practice 6, Q1)
May 15, 2011 08:00PM
When they ask a question in the exam, how do you know which topic they testing and which method they want you to use to solve the problem.

Example, look at the way question 1 is asked in the practice 6 problem set. In this case you know they testing sub queries because of the chapter the question is part of. But if you take that question as is and put it in the exam, you could potentially have solved it without a sub query.

For example you could have done it like this:

SELECT e.employee_id, e.last_name, e.first_name, e.department_id,
c.employee_id, c.last_name, c.first_name, c.department_id
FROM employees e JOIN employees c
ON (e.employee_id <> c.employee_id)
AND (e.department_id = c.department_id)
WHERE e.last_name = :LastName
ORDER BY e.department_id,e.employee_id,c.employee_id;

[I included all sorts of unnecessary columns just to check if the answer is right]. Assuming the above gives you the same results as the lecturers solution with the sub queries, how do you know which solution to apply in order to comply with the topic being tested in the exam question? Will there always be a hint? Like "Use Sub Queries"? At what point does a HINT become an instruction? What if you ignore the HINT and just do it another way ?
Re: How do you know which topic they testing? (Practice 6, Q1)
May 15, 2011 09:01PM
Hi,

Yeah, I had the same thinking going on there. I was looking at the 2010 exam and it seems they do mostly give hints. If they don't give any hint then what I will do is do whatever way I think is easiest for me and then just write an explanation after saying that I could have rather used a JOIN or subquery or whatever...

Brad
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login