Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Exam Results Are Out

Posted by takadiyi 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Exam Results Are Out
December 08, 2011 04:59PM
Just got my results on my unisa scrapped through.
1 more to go!!!!
avatar spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Re: Exam Results Are Out
December 08, 2011 05:17PM
Same here. It was quite a tough paper for me, but I seem to have done slightly better than I had dreaded. Phew! I also have one more. HCI 2, which was probably the most harrowing INF paper I've ever struggled my way through. Hope I made it.

Anyway, I'm now only two short of a degree, so I have no terror of even the worst case. I enjoyed this one. The book is a "keeper" I reckon. I must make the time to read it again.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Re: Exam Results Are Out
December 08, 2011 07:18PM
Failed mine miserably... So no supp then for me...

While I'm disappointed, its kindof what I was expecting. 2 weeks to study, and not a moment between to actually hit the damn book and get to it. So yeah, looks like its a repeat of the subject next semester... Bloody hell!!! I intensely dislike these theory modules...
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Re: Re: Exam Results Are Out
December 08, 2011 08:17PM
I passed better than I expected. smileys with beer
Sorry to hear that wishblade. I agree on the theory modules. I hate them too. Too much to cover in a short space of time.
December 08, 2011 08:31PM
I'm sorry to hear that, wishblade. But if you're going to fail one, rather do it with this than with Advanced Programming, eh? You'll clobber it next time round, even if they give another tough paper. (And let's not forget that this paper was no walk in the park).

@nozdlax drinking smiley well done.

In HCI2 at my venue, those of us who turned up to write instead of just waiting for an aegrotat all suffered (apart from the girl who ran off with the database paper, never to be seen again - they gave us the wrong paper to start with). I'm now at a small venue, so there were 6 places, with 4 there to write to begin with (and then 3 just before the exams began for everyone else). Of the 3 one of us left after an hour, another left in the second hour, and only one idiot just sat there waiting, waiting, waiting for memory to cough up a few more marks (which it did, right in the last 15 minutes). It was brutal. And this one wasn't that much kinder IMO. Anyway on we go. Not long now, whatever happens.
December 08, 2011 10:39PM
Yep, I must say some of the papers have been quite testing. But accepting that you're screwed is just a potential part and package of writing any paper - recognize the signs, deal with the emotions, and accept your position... Kind of like my walking out of this exact paper after 45 minutes. No use sitting and trying in vain to recall memory that wasn't there to begin with. Sucking things out your thumb doesn't help to much either - wastes your time as well as whoever has to read through it to mark it.
So no worries - I already dealt with the loss back then... I was just keeping a flame of hope alive that something (possibly the impossible) would have changed and I might have passed. Oh well...

But congrats and well done to the rest of you!!smileys with beer Brutal paper, so no small fete accomplished there! (At least from my perspective anyway)

@eddy: funny I would actually prefer to be writing the Advanced Programming paper again, at least if I had a choice between that paper and this one. I can't describe how much I hated doing this module. While the overall concept was ok, I was completely bored by the textbook. So joy, I have to look forward to it again next semester... Unless I can change my majors, and drop Info Systems. Get to do another Comp Sci module and then I'm done... Hmmm... maybe a possibility there grinning smiley
December 09, 2011 06:35AM
Hey guys I got a sup... This is like da first supp for my degree, I'm absolutely distraught. I tot I'm gettin my degree dis semester. But alas I'll have to wait it out. Jus wanna know... Are all supps in May/June? Do we have to pay any fees? Etc. I got 45 I do qualify for a supp rite?. Just feel soo horrible rite now.
December 09, 2011 08:34AM
i got 45 for this one, do you think i should do a remark, i did find this paper difficult tho.... is there a chance that i might loose the supp if the remark results are much lower. im still reeling over this. my phone alerted me at 4am and i have been up ever since. this is the biggest bummer ever, bcos i actually already planned a party and stuff for my graduation, and i was soo sure that i was to graduate in March. What is the procedure to do a supp, do i just wait till May/June to rewrite or do i have to do anything in the meantime, like i said this is the first supp for this degree. im sooooo annoyed, to do so well all the way and then when im down to my final 5 modules , to go and supp , its just absolutely annoying, im not sure wat to do right now.

does the whole remark thing work? im still outstanding 2 results, i hope those went well. ... (fingers crossed)!!!!!!!
December 09, 2011 10:35AM
@ Tazz. See Social Cafe for the rundown on the supp.

I remember my first supp (Physics) made me feel really gutted. Failed it, too, which was worse. The next one (Numerical 1) was actually a kind of blessing in disguise. Doing it again gave me better insight.

The best thing to do is to just accept imperfection, and remind yourself that by next week you're probably not going to be feeling quite as bad.

It must be a blow right now, though. Sorry to hear you got a blemish on a perfect record. It's horrible. I know. I've been there.

@ wishblade: If the only problem you had was boredom you'll be fine. Just choose not to be bored. It takes a fair effort of will to do that, but not as much as you think. Maybe pick some part of the course that was almost interesting to you, and decide to really get into that. Keep doing that iteratively, and the next thing you know you'll be right and ready. You only have to get less than 10 extra percent for it, after all.

Believe that: You have control over your attitudes. Never resign yourself to accepting a self-destructive state of mind (that's under your own control). Some things you can't control. Let 'em be. Some things, you can control. Learn to do that, and you'll have learned something much more useful than even the art of programming.
December 09, 2011 02:06PM
It was a difficult paper, but I got my distinction. Still waiting for 2 exam marks, and then hopefully only 4 subjects left. drinking smiley
December 09, 2011 06:37PM
Well done murdock619. Getting a first for that paper is quite an achievement.
December 09, 2011 07:06PM
Nailed it to the wall. now looking for to the new Hons.
December 09, 2011 07:47PM
Good for you. Enjoy your hons. And then the Masters, the Doctorate and the Nobel Prize for computer science. grinning smiley
December 12, 2011 07:18AM
hi guys congrats to those that passed. Please mail me if you are selling the text book and if you have previous year's material and Tutorial letter.
I am doing this module this semester

Thanks a mill
nairv1@telkom.co.za
December 12, 2011 07:27AM
You guys are defo making me nervous for this subject... I am doing it this following semester. Congrats to all of u that passed. smiling smiley
December 12, 2011 07:51AM
@Mona

I also have this one next year. Mixed feelings about it. Hoping to finish with my degree within the first semester.
avatar spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Re: Re: Exam Results Are Out
December 12, 2011 09:01PM
@Darkling I was hoping to finish mine next semester, but the c++ contemporary concepts is getting me down. Have to redo it. Failed the sup this semester.
Which other subjects have u got this semester?
December 15, 2011 03:43PM
This semester I had
COS3701
COS3751 and
INF3707

So glad I passed them.
December 19, 2011 02:03PM
This is the module that stands between me and my degree. Who else is in a similar situation?
December 19, 2011 03:23PM
I am, but you know that, right? Only I have to get through Advanced Programming to survive.

I think with this one, as far as exams goes, what you need to get very clear in your mind is exactly how your outline of the course runs. You need to have a good outline "in their words" instead of your own. That way you at least have some of the right starting hooks.

Obviously you need to fill that in, but perhaps step 1 is to have less of that "in your own words" stuff in your head?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login