Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam Prep

Posted by wishblade 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam Prep
October 27, 2011 12:22PM
So whose number is up for this paper this semester?

Any thoughts on the final expectations, necessary bits, etc? I'm planning on spending the weekend going over this one, so I'll probably have more info to post then. Just thought I would start the discussion (I get the first post grinning smiley)...
Re: Exam Prep
October 30, 2011 10:27AM
I claim post number 2 smile

Yeah I spent last week going through all the theory / reading material. Spending today and the next 2 on practicing.
The exam letter says study everything except that specified to be left out in tut 102, however, I find it to be a lot of work. Not a lot to be left out.

The last chapter (5), seems to have my brain going haywire and Id really like to know whats important in there. Letter 102 seems to be less specific on what to do here.

anyways, will most probably claim another few posts on this topic. chat later

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
Re: Exam Prep
October 30, 2011 04:51PM
Howsit Danie smiling smiley

I had the whole "study over the weekend" idea planned, only to have the weekend pass me by and I still have not opened a book. And work carries on, through to tomorrow afternoon. Which leaves me with Monday evening and Tuesday. Guess what I'm going to be doing then...

I'm not sure that there is that much work to get through, although then again, the last time I opened my textbook was long over a month ago. Chapter 1 pretty much carries through the principles and ideas introduced in the second year module, COS261 (from back in the day), again, assuming that I'm remembering COS261 correctly. Chapter 2 takes us to predicate logic, again with the same look and feel as Chapter 1, but now with a slightly different "logic set" to work with. Chapter 5 is just the understanding that there are different types of logics, and introduces 2 more symbols.

All in all, its primarily about practising the rules, etc. I had this module last year and couldn't end up writing exams on it, so had to leave it to this year (end up skipping it during the first semester this year, and now here I am). From what I remember, along with the idea I got from the past papers, is that one needs to focus on a couple of specific areas in the text.
For example (and not a complete list):
Proof Rules from Chapter 1.
Induction Proofs from Chapter 1.
Proof Rules from Chapter 2.
Something else from Chapter 2, which I can't remember right now.
What K is, and how to apply it/use it/do something with it, from Chapter 5. Essentially, ensure that you understand and can work with K, and specifically K45 (if I recall correctly).
Something else from Chapter 5.

I'll get back to the something else's tomorrow. For the most part though, the practical stuff would seem to be the most important. Just my perspective. The theory shouldn't be that much, since you need to know most of the theory and then apply the theory in the practical aspects. For the most part anyway.

Guess I'll be back tomorrow evening grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login