Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Q1

Posted by Tazz 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Q1
May 30, 2011 11:58AM
(a)
(i) r --> (q & ~s)
(ii) If he does not give her flowers nor chocolates, then she does not eat chocolates.

(b)
(i) For all x[S(x) --> there exists y(P(y) & F(x,y))[
(ii) If every x feeds every y, then x is a student and p is a parrot.

(c)
(i) (K1p & K2p) & (~K1K2p & ~K2K1p)
(ii) If agent 1 knows that agent 2 knows p, then agent 2 knows that agent 1 knows that agent 2 knows p
May 30, 2011 01:36PM
a.
i. Same.
ii. Same. (But either goes with or, and neither goes with nor, if you want to nit pick).

b.
i. (I think I'm wrong)... I get forall-x forall-y (S(x) & P(y) & F(x,y))
<< !!!! Grab your copy of LPL, and look up "translation ... at least ..."
You need to specify "Not at most two" in such a case... or do I have that backward. Point is it's not as innocent as it pretends to be.
>>>
ii. It's probably safer to avoid x's in the English, so what I had (after deleting my x version) was "If something feeds something, then the former is a student, and the latter is a parrot."

"Something" is a very thin disguise for an x.

c.
i. Basically the same. I just used the other De Morgan form, where the negation is not pushed inside the bracket. I used brackets round the inside terms, too, which is too conservative. (Could well be marked wrong).
ii. smile Yes. (What a tangle, eh?)
Re: Q1
May 30, 2011 03:42PM
Is this equivalent?:
A bird is fed by someone only if that someone is a student and the bird is a parrot.
May 30, 2011 03:57PM
It would be if a parrot was a bird.

However, in this particular question the kind of "parrot" they're talking about is the locomotive (which is fed coal by apprentice stokers - also referred to as "students".)

No hang on that was what the symbol "parrot" meant in 2007. Last year it had an almost natural meaning. It was a short form for "parrot fish", which are fed only by the marine biology students assigned to the aquarium..

Or the short version: "Very much, No, No, No."
Re: Q1
May 30, 2011 05:03PM
My bad, however we will have to find a more natural way to express such sentences..I can't see that x's and somethings will cut it in normal conversation (but maybe they will award points regardless)
May 30, 2011 05:33PM
For me the most natural way to think about it is actually with x's. However, I think that's a way to lose a mark or two, so the "least onerous alternative" is all we need find.

"Something" is about as "x" as I can get in English.

So the procedure would be to say "if x is a student and y is a parrot, then x feeds y", and then translate that to something more English-sounding?

" if something ... and something ... then something feeds something"... Not surprising that it sounds a little artificial, but at least the x has vanished. Of course one should always be on the lookout for something (anotherX!) less forced than "something" if possible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login