Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam postmortem

Posted by sheepapple 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam postmortem
November 02, 2011 05:00PM
Does anyone else feel like jumping off a bridge after that paper.

HOLY CRAP!!! I confused myself so badly with all the curve balls it was ridiculous.
Re: Exam postmortem
November 02, 2011 05:15PM
Oh yeah - I am jumping along! These derivations absolutely killed me -I'm sure it is all one big mess. I wish I studied harder ...
It covered everything - really good paper. I kind of don't like that, lol
November 02, 2011 05:20PM
Dude between working and studying I only had time on weekends and 1 day of leave a week. I felt it was enough but the paper was nothing like the assignments or any of the past exams.

It was all completely different in every respect.

That question with the grid u(x, t). t never terminated so how the hell do you write very U element? I just wrote the one row and left the rest.

I also never finished (and I got an A on Num Method 1).... someone hand me a gun. I feel like this is a sup for me....
November 02, 2011 05:30PM
Question 5 I skipped altogether - hopefully the rest will be enough for a pass or sup
November 02, 2011 06:36PM
Ok, I'm looking at the book and comparing what I couldn't write earlier so here's my feedback:
-there are no derivation in the book for most formulas used;
-what is this implicit method that was asked in Q5 - if it is ADI why wasn't it written as ADI
-we are CS students but being treated as applied mathematics students and a lot is omitted from assignment solutions. Lecturers also solve problems in ways different from those described in the book (not for everything but for a lot of the problems)
- Assignments don't cover most of the material asked in the exam - perhaps around 25-30 percent

Conclusion:

I am pissed off that I couldn't do more on the exam and I studied hard!
November 14, 2011 08:48PM
that bad?!

doing this next semester... GULP
November 15, 2011 10:27AM
It wouldn't have been that bad if we were provided with similar questions in the exam as in the assignments. The assignments are clearly not enough, plus they don't cover everything. If the lecturers think that more than 2 assignments is too much work for the semester they could do self evaluation and provide solutions like all other modules do. You can't ask the basics in the assignments and then have enormous derivations of formulas in the exam plus ask for a method that isn't even explicitly written as such in the book.

I invested in a second book (Burden R.L., Faires J.D. Numerical analysis (7ed)) in order to do better with this module and still did poorly on the exam - simply due to the type of questions asked and the not so good preparation from assignment work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login