Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chebyshev and Pade

Posted by roryharpur 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Chebyshev and Pade
November 01, 2011 02:02PM
Hi
Does anyone know how many terms we are supposed to use in writing out a Chebyshev series? I know it normally will state to use the 3rd order (for example) which means using terms T0 to T3, but does that mean we do not convert any of the powers higher than x^3? The textbook expands the 3rd-order Chebyshev series further than this, but leaves out the terms higher than T4 when substituting.

For example, the textbook substitutes (1/8)(3T0 + 4T2 + T4) for x^4 and merely leaves off the T4 term. (see page 229) This can obviously go on forever because the higher powers of x still have valid terms (T0-T3) in them and the Maclaurin or Taylor series can be infinite. Where do we draw the line??

Also, does anyone have any better explanations or resources for Pade approximations?

Thanks
Rory
Re: Chebyshev and Pade
November 01, 2011 05:14PM
I don't see that in the book perhaps it is a different edition - mine is 7th.
In the exam they tell you where to stop - i.e. a Maclaurin series is given with four terms and four Chebyshev polynomials

This was very useful for me for Pade as it contains vital piece of information missing from the textbook: http://ktuce.ktu.edu.tr/~pehlivan/numerical_analysis/chap03/PadeApproximation.pdf
Re: Chebyshev and Pade
November 01, 2011 06:30PM
Thank you!
I'm dreading this one tomorrow!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login