Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 1

Posted by sheepapple 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 1
August 07, 2011 01:24PM
OK, I've just started looking at this today. Question 2 is a joke - pretty easy. If anyone needs feedback or to compare solutions I'm keen.

I've not really looked much at the material surrounding Question 3 but I will get there. Has anyone tackled this yet?

Question 1 to me seems like just a 6 term Taylor series expansion... whats the point?
Re: Assignment 1
August 09, 2011 11:38AM
Oh dear. Looks like they revised the assignments in the tut letter...
August 10, 2011 08:31PM
Hi sheepapple
I've just started looking through the assignment and I must say I'm pretty lost. The textbook doesn't have much in the way of examples. Have you been using any other resources? I would love to see some solutions to similar questions to see these methods in action. Any ideas?
Thanks!
August 10, 2011 08:59PM
Hey Roryharpur. Yeah, I've been watching youtube videos quite a bit. Mostly numericalmethodsguy. It really helps. I'm busy looking at question 3 of assignment 1 at the moment. I think I managed to separate it all out into first order form successfully. The next step which involves solving using Runge-Kutta 2nd order method looks a bit tricky.

For now, watch youtube if you're lost though.
August 14, 2011 01:01PM
Hi
Thanks so much! NumericalMethodsGuy is awesome at stepping through the problems. I feel like i have a pretty solid understanding of the three methods used here now.
The first question seems to be a pretty straightforward application of the Euler method so I don't think there will be too much of a problem there.
The second two questions are still tripping me up quite badly though. I understand how to use the Taylor series expansion and the Runge-Kutta method, although I don't know how to get the equations in a suitable form to use these.
In question 2 I am stuck because I am not sure how to differentiate y'' in order to get y''' etc. Once you have those equations it becomes a simple case of substituting everything into the Taylor series formula (I think... unless I'm missing something), but I am stuck on the differentiation.
For question 3, I am very confused as to how we are supposed to separate out the equations.
All of the examples have seen so far have been great at explaining the methods but they do not go into these more complicated issues. I'll keep searching and post back if I find some examples that are close to these questions. If anyone else has found them already, please let us know!
Thanks
August 19, 2011 01:15PM
hi guys!pliz in question 1 how do get the analytical solution.i forget hw we calculate the exct solution of a differential equation
blv
August 19, 2011 01:23PM
Bobby, theres quite a bit out there. Just search around - especially youtube. It's first year calculus. smiling smiley
August 27, 2011 01:12PM
So how is assignment 1 looking?
August 29, 2011 04:33PM
OK. Pretty much done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login