Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Formulas in the exam?

Posted by 34572457 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Formulas in the exam?
May 05, 2011 07:41AM
Does anybody know if we will be given any formulas in the exam paper. Or do we have to remember things like the weighting factors and values for t for Guassian Quadrature?
avatar Re: Formulas in the exam?
May 05, 2011 12:20PM
Where necessary it looks like formulas are "built into" the questions. There's no special formula sheet supplied.

For quadrature, look at p304, long enough to realise that it's essentially the same thing as you were doing with two variables. I my haste and desperation last year, this fact just sailed right over my head.

As you say, there are two things you need: w, and t.

t, you get from the Legendre polynomials (or the roots thereof). For 2-term the solution of the equation is easy. If you have difficulty you're just making some simple mistake, so rewind a bit till you find it instead of improving your cursing skills.

Once you have your t, you can solve the system for w.

For three terms you have 3 w.

For a three term quadrature your POLYNOMIAL is exact up to degree 2*3-1 = 5. 5 degrees plus the zero power term = 6 equations.

In some of the papers they've asked for a general outline of how you would solve for the missing parameters, and you've now reached the end of a rough version of what my summary would look like since I became a sadder but wiser man. (Or since the dismay of last year's failure if you don't like poetic allusions).
Re: Formulas in the exam?
May 06, 2011 07:08AM
Thanks for the insight. It seems the lecturer sent out a message to all in response to my question about this.

I've not been the only one askingsmile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login