Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TS Approx of Second Derivative

Posted by slow_eddy 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar TS Approx of Second Derivative
May 03, 2011 09:26PM
I think I might be on the track of this one.

Step 1. Follow text book's approach to solving for f'(x) Keep that result for later.

Step 2. Produce the right Taylor Series (which might be difficult to see straight off) to solve for f''.

Step 3. Do that. Get f'' out of that TS and on its own side of the equation.

I think before the manipulations is the time to plug in the f' expression you got in Step 1. Whatever. Plug it in at an appropriate time so that the entire other side expression is in terms of f and h.

Somehow or other that first error term falls away? Or do we have to keep an additional f'' term in the error? We certainly can't just simply wish it away.

There ought to be an f''' term for error.

Now one of the problems is that unless you simply know the formula you must solve for (and they're not all in the text book) how would you know whether you're working with forward, backward, or central approximations?

I don't intend investing too vast an amount of the little time left on this, but how does the general scheme of it sound?
Re: TS Approx of Second Derivative
May 04, 2011 10:09AM
Ja. You lost me at Step 2. I've mailed the lecturer about this question. Lets wait and see. I will call this afternoon again - she was in a meeting this am apparently.
avatar Re: TS Approx of Second Derivative
May 04, 2011 11:35AM
Step 2's right TS would be chosen from among Forward, Backward, and Central differences.

Your f'' approximation would also be characterised as one of these (forward etc).

In other words you would probably not get the desired result if the formula to reach was a central difference formula for f'', but you put a backward differences approximation of f' into it when you solved.

Step 3 could be rephrased as "isolate just f'' on the LHS of the equation, and move all other terms to the RHS".

f'' = (OldRHS - TermsThatOnceWereAddedToF2prime) / FactorsOfF2prime
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login