Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 1

Posted by ROtti 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
February 16, 2011 04:02PM
I'm having trouble with Question 7 of assignment 1.

I think all three options 1, 3, 4, are all correct...

Let me know if what you guys think.
February 16, 2011 04:28PM
Question 10 assignment 1

Are they asking is newtons method is guaranteed in genral or for f(x) stated at the top of Section B?

I find that newtons method converge with starting x = 0.5 at 0 and starting x = 1.5 at 1.2927 for f(x)
check this out
February 16, 2011 05:34PM
Give me more details and maybe I can share the benefit of my having already supped this one with you.

I don't have this semester's tut letters, so your question references are no help. Probably plain answers are in the plagiarism zone, but a discussion of the principles is clearly not.
February 17, 2011 11:27AM
February 17, 2011 12:54PM
OK the path to part of the answer may be to punch ln(-1) into an imaginary calculator, remember the result, and then imagine on which side of the circle you'd find 2.6 radians. In other words I think you should be getting an error in your second iteration.
February 17, 2011 01:01PM
Sorry, I forgot about Q10.

All the questions will relate to the f(x)'s given at the top of each section,
so your f(x) = e-x - cos x.

I haven't looked at the main calc yet. I'll feed it all into Octave sometime, I think, and make a plot. (Although the right way here would probably be to draw a rough graph, so you can see what answers you ought to expect in a way that may become applicable in the exam).
February 17, 2011 02:56PM
Thanks a lot.

I took everything you said, and thought about it some more.

And it all makes more sence now.

Thanks
C
February 17, 2011 03:21PM
smile

Glad to be of help - although the marking machine will decide whether that, it really was. I still have to make that rough graph etc.

A word of advice: You need to get onto Assignment 2's stuff as early as you can. The hill gets significantly steeper up ahead.

It's also a very good idea to do Assignment 3 (if they're still running that system where a genuine effort gives you full marks).
February 17, 2011 06:46PM
OK, I've now satisfied myself that the comments to question 7 could be helpful.

An addition to that (no longer relevant to you, ROtti, but just to the question) would be that the issue of where those roots are, and whether your method converges toward them from such and such an initial value are two separate things.

As for Newton's method, doesn't one have to start out reasonably close to the root to get there?
Re: Assignment 1
February 21, 2011 09:29PM
I'm not sure but I wrote a function in Matlab that does Mullers Method and the answers I get for 14 and 15 are close but not identical.
14: a=-0.25; b=-2; c=0.0625; root=1.5311
15: a=32; b=46; c=13; root=2.6134

Number 13 is way out and isn't close to any of the answers. I hope I don't have a bug in my program.
February 22, 2011 10:33AM
February 23, 2011 06:39AM
Clever, but they want you to use Mullers method. I can't get those numbers to come through exactly with Mullers - thats the bigger concern.
February 23, 2011 06:59AM
I'm looking at assignment 2 and its a mountain of work!

Out of curiosity, how are we supposed to solve some of this staff in the exam without the use of computers. It could take forever! I'm considering buying a graphing calculator....
February 23, 2011 07:17AM
Scratch that. The past papers say non programmable calculators only!!
February 23, 2011 09:47AM
smile Start practicing your calculator-typing now. Even if you use CAS etc to do checks, be sure you can do it by hand, and do a rerun just to drill yourself, so you build up some speed.

grinning smiley Mind you with this last exam I had quite a lot of time to punch the calculator, on account of my hitting such a complete and utter blank with some of the questions that I gained a lot of time for the stuff I half-understood.

... No, actually that's wrong. I'd say my understanding was OK (not brillig, but at least OK). You need more than just understanding. You need to carry that understanding forward to the point where you have skill.

Here's an idea: Even as you struggle along with the glitches in Assignment 1, do question 1 of Assignment 2. Nothing more. Don't make the goal too big. Just question 1. Get a bit ahead of the game. And then a bit more. You need to do this, because they will do the dastardly trick of asking you to think in the exam!
March 27, 2011 02:51PM
I see this assignment was cancelled? The model answer is still not published though. Has anyone called to request it?
April 05, 2011 05:40PM
Can someone send me all the tutorial letters including the answers please. My email add is: moha_4m@hotmail.com. Have a supplementary exams and i cant access them anymore on my.unisa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login