Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Semester System Doesn't Work

Posted by slow_eddy 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Semester System Doesn't Work
May 06, 2011 02:00PM
G'day all you COS112ers at the start of all this lovely pain!

Us COS3xxx/ers are wingeing away about the semester system, because we remember better days, but our complaints are pretty useless, because none of us is going to do anything about it. We're nearly done, you see?

Because you've just started, you possibly don't yet know that the semester system doesn't work (which means you're getting a lower quality of education than you might've). It doesn't. Soon you're going to reach exam time and wonder when the marks are going to come back for "Assignment 2". And you'll probably get used to getting Assignment 2 back a few weeks after you've written.

This is not because your lecturers are slackers. They've just been dumped under all sorts of pressure by the introduction of semesters. It's made it more difficult for them to give you the attention you need. It's the system that's at fault.

With a year long course you get the benefit of up to 4 Assignments, each of which sharpens your understanding and saves you pain later, at exam time. (Rather suffer in small installments throughout the year). You get them all back. Often if there's some comment the lecturer thinks will help you personally, you get such a comment on your paper. No question that in quality terms you get tons more value for money out of such a system.

OK enough of that. Ask on eg social forum if you want more details or disagree. Point is this is your education that's at stake, not mine. So it's your problem, not mine.

How do you go about solving the semesterisation problem?
a. Be pathetic. Just bend over and take it.
b. Make your SRC work. Maybe there's someone there who's aching to make a name as a campaigner for better education?

Go for option b.

You guys really should try and get the SRC busy on giving you back the good education those who started 5 years ago had the benefit of.

But if you don't, I could also care less. It really no longer is my problem ... Or maybe I'll post again in some active Y1 group before calling it quits.

Oh, good luck. Hope you have an enjoyable paper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login