Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tutorial on PHPmailer

Posted by Shaun2010 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
April 13, 2011 07:57AM
Hey peeps

I'm busy with this now and thought I'd share this with you.

Sending email via PHPmailer

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Student Number:72793775
Re: Tutorial on PHPmailer
April 13, 2011 09:42AM
This PHP class helps a lot if you having problems configuring sendmail on a Windows machine.
avatar Re: Tutorial on PHPmailer
April 13, 2011 10:09AM
Thanks. Haven't tackled the mailing features yet so this knowledge will be really useful.

Student_Number : 73017612
April 13, 2011 11:35AM
Also haven't done any mailing yet but will keep this in mind when I get there smiling smiley

Thanks!
Mac
April 13, 2011 12:11PM
It is good to use classes such as this - makes things a lot easier. You will find many more useful classes available on the net.
April 13, 2011 03:20PM
CHARLCROW-72771437 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This PHP class helps a lot if you having problems
> configuring sendmail on a Windows machine.

Do you perhaps have a link that explains how? smiling smiley

April 13, 2011 08:37PM
Shaun I haven't managed to get my Windows 7 machine to successfully send an email using the mail() function, I actually had to test it on the Freeoda Server.
I've messed around with my PHP.ini file and the sendmail.ini file that comes with XAMPP for hours and couldnt get it right.
Trying to configure sendmail on a localhost has been the worst part of this course for me. Your best bet a web server or maybe a linux machine.
April 13, 2011 08:40PM
Dam ok thanks though, I'll give it a shot and let you guys know if I get anywhere smiling smiley

April 13, 2011 09:00PM
Are you actually able to send emails if your DB is on XAMPP or EASYPHP? Doesn't everything need to be on a proper web server for emails to actually send? I know I had this problem a while ago when I was making a simple website. But things might have changed ...
April 13, 2011 09:41PM
To quote Mac's post on the email thread: "XAMPP is a local installation so it cannot physically send mail since it is not connected to the Internet."
I'm assuming that might be part of the problem?

Student_Number : 73017612
April 13, 2011 09:52PM
Sounds like it might be an issue winking smiley

A little irritating to try develop the email bit though. What I did last time was upload to a server for that. Will probably do that here too.
April 14, 2011 09:05AM
If the mail() function works just fine when we upload and test on a Web Server I'm sure we can use it in our projects. I think its safe to assume that the PC that Mac will be using
to check our projects has sendmail configured.
Mac
April 14, 2011 10:07AM
It is painful if you cannot test your code. I will run it in an XAMPP installation myself, so it will not work either - but I know what too look for even if I myself cannot run your mail code.
That said, I am not too concerned if it works or not - it is how you use mail() that I focus on. Small errors you will learn quickly enough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login