Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2 - Databse Design

Posted by wsbraun 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Re: Assignment 2 - Databse Design
May 08, 2011 06:16PM
I'm not sure Divana, have you checked chapter 11 in the textbook? I know there is a part that explains changes you need to make in your php.ini file.
Re: Assignment 2 - Databse Design
May 08, 2011 10:50PM
Dr Mac I have a few questions which are really hindering my progress to complete the project as follows:

1.The Manage students page must it only display the student name and surname then a delete and edit buttons plus a link to add a new user which redirects to the registration page?

2.The veiw registrations page is it a page that shows the table course_students and this table is it a table that is generated from fields in the two tables course and student, I'm really confused on this one? So what I should do is join some of the fields into the course_students then show them onto the course_students page?

3.Lastly I am really confused about the e-mail option on the registration page and making it send to other students in the same course is there anyone who can assist me with this?Please help me so I can finish my project.
Mac
May 09, 2011 08:03AM
1. Yes
2. Shows all the students that have registered for a particular course. So you can present a drop down of all courses, and when it is selected then it shows the students for that course
Mac
May 09, 2011 08:05AM
divava Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi guys last minutes touch ups...
>
> please help emailing back to student, i think its
> the mailing config hav to make sure though
> look at the simple code below

This has been discussed in detail elsewhere.
May 09, 2011 09:40PM
Thanks for all the information really helping Dr Mac, Another questions, so what do we use the course_student table?
May 10, 2011 08:55AM
OK I think I am finished with the project! grinning smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
However I still have a couple of questions

1. How many (how will they be weighed) extra features gain me the full 30%?
2. I have not decorated my project, however information is clearly visible, will this count against me?
3. Should the program delete all students registered for a particular course(this was an example on the tut letter)?
4. What features will likely gain me higher marks?
5. AND LASTLY Dr. Mac this has been a challenging exercise. Roughly how much would a client be charged for a project like this? I am guessing at least smoking smiley R10 000.00!!!
Mac
May 10, 2011 09:04AM
1. It depends on the quality and usefulness and logic, so it dependssmiling smiley
2. Decorations not important - usability yes.
3. Your code!
4. R2000.
May 10, 2011 09:08AM
Thanks Dr. Mac.
May 10, 2011 09:31AM
Hi Mac

I don't suppose you would be able to give a little bit of feedback on our projects and like break our marks down, say like you got 4/5 for your app, 2/3 for the added functionality and 1/2 for your theory?

Or am I grasping at straws here smiling smiley

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Student Number:72793775
May 10, 2011 09:33AM
Sorry Dr Mac but you have not answered

3. Should the program delete all students registered for a particular course(this was an example on the tut letter)?
May 10, 2011 09:39AM
xmgcoyi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry Dr Mac but you have not answered
>
> 3. Should the program delete all students
> registered for a particular course(this was an
> example on the tut letter)?

Yes, when you delete a course, the students for that course should be deleted to

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Student Number:72793775
May 10, 2011 09:47AM
lets say a student is registered for course A, B and C,

when i register the student their sno is stored on the course_student table together with the cid

if i delete course B the student will remain registered for course A and C.

so do you mean that i should delete the student details from course_student and then if i remove course A and C I should should delete the student information all together????????
May 10, 2011 10:13AM
You only need to remove the course from the tables that reference it. In this case the course table and the course_student table

As easy as
Language: SQL
DELETE FROM course_student WHERE cid=$cid; DELETE FROM course WHERE cid=$cid;

This will maintain referential integrity such that you don't have a student registered for a non existent course.

You do a similar thing when deleting students.

--

Student Number: 7298-786-3
May 10, 2011 10:31AM
thanks wsbraun I now fully understand
May 10, 2011 02:54PM
session_id() is giving me a warning! shoulf i rather not use it?
May 10, 2011 05:03PM
i have uploaded my project on to my domain name smile it still has a lot of bugs but it should be fully working by tonight. Please visit My Site to evaluate. please dont be shy to comment it will be appreciated. If you have any suggestions please do comment!
May 10, 2011 05:06PM
You may login on My site by using username "admin" and password "admin"
May 10, 2011 08:51PM
Hey Everyone

A quick question,
The functions page...must it contain the add edit and delete php codes for both course and student.?

OR must we do it all under one page..eg: manage course have all the codes on the same page (add ,edit , delete courses)?
manage student have all the codes on the same page(add,edit,delete students)?

please advise...
thanks
May 10, 2011 11:08PM
Hey everyone

do we have to have a login page (password)for admin to add edit and delete,,,
or can we just have it all available on index .php.
May 11, 2011 02:25AM
Hey Belanda,

OK let me try to answer you..

you are NOT bound to code only on 1 page! you can put your code where ever you want, as long as it makes sense. However it would be very neat and a good coding practice to have code that you will most like ly re use on the functions page.

You do not really HAVE to have a login page BUT if you want higher marks it is a good idea to have it as 1 of the extra features meantioned in the tut letter. if you have plenty of other features don't bother.

Please confirm with Mac.
May 11, 2011 02:28AM
Guys please visit My Site and use what you see and please feed back! Thanks http://www.xolanimgcoyi.co.za
May 13, 2011 02:18AM
Can I submit my project friday after 19:00, please give us the due time ?Which e-mail address are we sending the project to?
Mac
May 13, 2011 08:31AM
That information is in the tut letter. You can send it my 23h59:59 if you really want to!
May 13, 2011 07:09PM
Thanks Dr Mac I guess I'm panicking , you are far too kind, will send it before 23h59:59, have a great weekend!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login