Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm impressed..

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
I'm impressed..
July 07, 2010 05:09PM
Following the format of reporting required from you, it seems like you all are cruising....smileys with beer
July 07, 2010 09:15PM
Hopefully not for a bruising..........................smiling bouncing smiley Only time will tell if we got it right.
Enjoying the course immensely despite only having finished the Intro. smile
Re: I'm impressed..
July 07, 2010 10:51PM
Wish I could say the same! I can't even start - have been waiting sooooooooo long for course material! sad smiley

Hopefully it will be here within the next day or so! Strikes, soccer and general SA Post trying to slow my enthusiasm! yawning smiley

SO excited to start - I was checking my postbox daily until I at last received my tracking number on Monday - now I'm tracing the route of my material practically every 30min! moody smiley

Well hopefully I will be on track with the rest of you soon!!!smiling bouncing smiley
July 08, 2010 08:53AM
Dear Mac and fellow students

I've started the course and I find it very interesting.

On the welcoming letter it states that we have to login in order to download the first tutorial letter. Somehow it is not working on my computer. I had a friend that is also studying this course show me how it is done, and it is still not working. Please advice.

I would also like to know if there is a schedule one can follow to know that you are on the right track.

Kind Regards
Veronique
Mac
July 08, 2010 12:08PM
You're not providing enough information on what is not working? I have tested it and it is working 100%?

We do not provide a schedule since students register and receive their material at different stages.

What we will provide you with (once we know all students have received their material) is the due dates. The assignment is not a tough one, and even if you start next week you will be OK.

But in general, you should work on 15 weeks. Take away 3 weeks for the portfolio, leaving you with 12 weeks, therefore 3 weeks per section. However, you should be spending most of your time on sections 2 and 3, so I would suggest 4 weeks for sections 1 and 4 (with section 4 taking 3 weeks), leaving you with 4 weeks each for sections 2 and 3. That converts to more or less completing a lesson every 3 days.
July 08, 2010 12:45PM
Hi Mac

Thank you for the schedule. It gives me some indication of how fast I should work.

Problem: I login as ***** and used the password *****.

EDIT - never post passwords - it defeats the object...!

According to my friend a "download" bottom is suppose to appear (under resourses) and you click on that in order to download the tutorial letter. Somehow I’m not getting a "download" bottom at all. She did email me the letter, but I wanted to sort out the problem in case I need to download any more letters. I’m using windows 7 and don’t know if that could be a problem?

Kind Regards
Veronique
Mac
July 08, 2010 12:52PM
I can only assume it is your browser. Try upgrading it or use another browser sad smiley
Else after you have typed the password, just hit enter
July 08, 2010 02:03PM
Shame, Yolandi!

I feel excited for your part! So happy that your course material is finally on its way to you!
Have seen your messages on the forum saying that you haven't been able to start - how frustrating!

Enjoy! smiling bouncing smiley

"STUDENT NUMBER - 72780363"
July 08, 2010 02:41PM
@ Veronique

HI,

I am also using Win7 and the latest version of Internet Explorer.
The download link was available for me.

It appears on the left hand side of the screen in the (grey area) under Resources, but only after you log on.

Hope you sort it out soon!smile

@ Mac

Thanks so much for the guideline schedule - feel more relaxed now!
My books was in the post this afternoon! I am starting tonight - YEAH!hot smiley
July 09, 2010 12:49PM
Hey there,

I'm Pretty new with this whole thing so trying to make sense of things Iv'e logged in with the username above just hadn't added my student number next to it, where the username supposed to be
Harshana-72811269 is there any way to change your username after you've registered already? I have also received my course material and started reading two days ago, with work it's been hectic to get the time but managed to have a few hours. Another thing I wanted to ask is that i got an sms on my phone saying " Dear Thutong L Centre Student, You are invited to attend Student Orientation to be held on 17-07-2010, 08h00-12h00, in Bld 15 Study Centre, Pretoria Hub S/side" not sure if this is in connection with Unisa but that is the only place I registered at so assuming i't to do with Unisa and clueless of where exactly Bld 15 is, If it from Unisa could you tell me that is.

Thanks
enjoy the weekend People heads up for Spain Waka Wak eh eh!!!thumbs up smiley

STUDENT NUMBER-7281-126-9
July 09, 2010 01:28PM
@ mac thanks for guideline

Finally received my stuff - SAPO is like snail mail. Next time I'm gonna hire me a Koi San runner grinning smiley

Going to start now!

--Edit--

@Harshana I think best option would be to delete your profile or hopefully it's ok as I did just add it in your signature.

Just my 2 cents smiling smiley

--Edit--

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Student Number:72793775
July 09, 2010 02:13PM
Hi Mac and everyone,

My material has finally arrived. i have gone through Introduction. I am loving it!!
July 10, 2010 11:37AM
Hey Shaun
Thanks for the 2 cents it worth it or I would be still thinking it not Ok to do thatthumbs up smiley

Ok but still need to know if the student Orientation sms I got is for this Unisa course?confused smiley

STUDENT NUMBER-7281-126-9
July 10, 2010 08:09PM
cant say i'm cruising...only received my course work about two days ago! enjoying what i've done so far though.
July 10, 2010 11:37PM
@ Harshana

Hi,

Mac said in an earlier thread that the Tutorial letter mentions we must IGNORE any SMS from UNISA. This also includes any emails from UNISA,(other than the ones sent by our lecturers).
See thread called second semsester- late arrivals-exam

Hope this helps.

Yolandi
Anonymous User
July 14, 2010 03:40PM
Looking forward to completing this course and many more after this one.
I find the material to be very informative and am enjoying it.
What I know about HTML is mostly basic & self-taught and I hope that by the
end of this course, I will be able to do more than just the basics .
hot smiley
July 20, 2010 09:36AM
sorry about the error

veronique
July 25, 2010 04:14PM
Dear Mac and fellow students
I'm Pretty new with this whole thing so trying to make sense of things. got my materials last week and have started reading.have downloaded the tutorial 101 and,pls can u just tell me wat the forum is all about.because am fustrated because i feel am not going un the way i should, and can i get contact of any of the student so that we can see one or one pls.
July 25, 2010 07:12PM
@ tosin

Hi,

Don't worry about starting late. Just keep on reading. I think the first chapter is just to get to know the basics of the internet - where it started, what is needed for a connection, what goes on it, etc. Read through it and try to answer the lesson questions as good you can. The model/general answers are in the end of the chapter, so you can check on yourself and see that you are on the right track. The forum is for Mac and the other staff to keep track of all students progress. So, after each lesson you finish, you go to the topic relevant to the one you just finished, e.g. go to Introduction: Lesson 1: Topic 1A in the message list if you have just finished the first topics questions in the first chapter and just post that you have done it.

Other than staff keeping track of students progress, we as students can also post questions about the work if we have and other students can answer or sometimes MAc also replies. Just make sure that the question you have has not already been posted by someone else. If it has, just read through all the comments under the existing thread and if things are still not clear, reply under the same post and keep a look out for more responses. TRy not to post duplicate topics, it makes it easier to follow if every thread of a certain topic is under just the one message topic. TRy and read through everything that does not have anything to do with lesson, i.e. anything that does not start with Introduction, HTML, CSS, JAVA. These topics show us everybody else's progress. The other posts can be of help in other questions you might have.

Hope this helps a bit - I also started late. Busy working through the 3rd lesson of Introduction, nearly finished. You must just work towards page 29 of the second topic (HTML) - if you reach this, you must do assignment one (in you Tut) - basic presence on the web. This has to be done by 20 August. Read the thread under Due date and Assignment one - Discussion.

Just don't stress and enjoy everything you learn. If you have more questions you can use the [PM] link next to my username to send messages to me - can always try and help as much I can.

Enjoy,
Yolandi spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 29, 2010 12:34PM
Could someone assist me - We are supposed to save our forum posts - but I am not sure how to accomplish this - and how do we delete an message that we posted

Thanks
Mac
July 30, 2010 07:00AM
Highlight with your mouse, right click on highlegted area, copy. Paste somewhere.
August 09, 2010 08:48PM
@ Sheenip

Can't delete a post - but you can however edit any of your posts - so you can delete the content and place a note that says it was an error.

With the regards to the saving part - you can copy and paste like Mac mentioned - the best program to you is Notepad or Wordpad or Texteditor etc.

Hope this helps,

Yolandi
August 10, 2010 07:29AM
Thank you Mac and Yolandi. I knew I could copy paste but I had thought that you were maybe wanting it to look precisely as it looks on the phorum page - instead of just text. I shall do it the way you have recommended.

Appreciate your help

thumbs up smiley
September 30, 2010 08:04PM
Hello Mac

I started using ANONYMOUS USER to post replies for COMPLETION of topics and lessons at the start of the course in July/August. I have now changed my user profile to mpettit student 72793112 and will post all lessons completed. I did complete the assignment due in August but I believe it was not received.

MPettit-72793112
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login