Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 3

Posted by PretoriaSux 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
August 31, 2010 09:08PM
Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on Assignment 3?
Difficulty? Which parts of the text book was easy? Which parts of the text book was difficult?

Did you understand all the concepts? etc...
kay
Re: Assignment 3
August 31, 2010 11:35PM
I get the concepts, it's Prolog I'm struggling with smiling smiley Still stuck on question 1, unfortunately. You?
September 01, 2010 09:52AM
I just finished question 1 last night. I took 2 days off from work to sit with this assignment and honestly I'm struggling to turn a state space into prolog statements.

I have 3 problems:
1 Deciding on the terminal clause.
2 Understanding how prolog will iterate through the list to produce successor states.
3 Keeping track of what states I've covered.

So basically I don't know how to convert what I know about the state space into anything meaningful in Prolog.

I used depthfirst2 for question 1 as appears in the text book (can't remember which page). It is depth first search with iterative deepening. Not sure if I should try the standard depth first search; but with so little time remaining I think I'm going to leave my solution as is and tackle the other questions.

BTW: I copied the legal moves from the solution given for best first search in question 1. I didn't change anything regarding the legal moves.

Before I answer the next question I'm going to try some simple List Iterations with a terminal clause and try and wrap my head around how prolog attempts to find a solution. I think I figured out how to trace what prolog is doing last week and that might be key to understanding how prolog goes about finding a solution.
September 15, 2010 04:24PM
I really struggled with this assignment - in the end handed it in with only Question 1 solved. Not sure where to go from here - anyone want to form an online study group or something?

Peter
September 15, 2010 04:56PM
Hi Peter,

I also struggled with this assignment. I would be interested in joining an online study group, problem is I don't know if my input will be valuable. Assignment 3 Questions were really out of this world. It was unreasonably difficult to learn what was expected from the text book and further more given our time constraints with work and other assignments it is really difficult. I am considering asking the lecturers for tuition. So maybe if we get a big enough group one of the lecturers will be able to give us a lesson. I'm willing to take a days leave and go to the university during the course of the day.
September 16, 2010 03:31PM
Well, Mrs Horne recommended the Van Le book, "Techniques of Prolog programming" - I have requested it from the Unisa library. Beyond that, maybe we can chose some problems (similar but not the same as the assignment ones) and throw around some solutions?
September 20, 2010 02:00PM
That would be great, however, I think we should do this after our assignments are all in because I have AI and Formal Logic due next week.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login