Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

XAMPP on a Netbook

Posted by MicheleC 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
XAMPP on a Netbook
September 29, 2010 09:08AM
To all the gadget literate on the course...

I was wondering if one could install XAMPP on a NetBook? I saw a guy working on one on a flight last week and I thought - I like!

It really would be a huge help not to have to lugg a laptop and rather carry one of those around when I don't need the laptop.

Google searches seem to say yes - but just wanted another opinion. Are there requirements to look out for?
Mac
Re: XAMPP on a Netbook
September 29, 2010 09:42PM
Do you really want to code on a Netbook eye popping smiley I want (no, demand!) a 21 inch screen, a good editor and a stable cup of coffee. Somehow a Netbook with its smaller screen and code that wraps a simple line of code into 20 lines will not allow me the bigger picture - especially when you have code brackets all over the place . It may impress the guy sitting next to you though thumbs up smiley When on a plane, close your eyes and plan your code smiling smiley
September 30, 2010 06:40AM
Haha, i agree with Mac! My 14 inch notebook is already annoying enough! winking smiley But from a tech point of view, if your running windows then yes it will work just like a normal computer. If tho your running linux on the netbook then its probably do-able but wont be nearly as easy to do!
Mac
September 30, 2010 08:23AM
I bought a laptop about 3 years ago for coding and immediately sold it to buy a 5kg one (battery is huge) with a 17 inch screen, a 1920x1200 resolution and a full standard width keyboard. Perfect for coding - everything fits, plus more. I carry it with a smile.
October 01, 2010 09:32AM
Yes indeed - I have come across guys like yourselves.

Obviously you don't contract - or you are so well known in your field - they role the red carpet out when you arrive.

I have put in training rooms, hallways and very cramp project offices - where a laptop screen is a luxury. But then again - I'd rather earn R500-R650/hr than have a nice cushy permanent job - so yes I'm quite happy with a netbook screen actually - and my eyesight is pretty good, so I can use a decent resolution.

So if anyone has a technical answer - that would be nice!
Mac
October 01, 2010 09:40AM
I don't quite get why you are getting personal? That was a technical answer (since you asked for requirements) from someone who has been programming for 10 years now, and who happens to take his laptop to work everyday and then back home. And no, I have anything but a cushy job. The resolution needs to be high since it makes coding easier. The reference to eyesight is directly related to the resolution, since at 1920x1200 the font is extremely small. A full standard keyboard makes it easy to type since there is less strain on your wrists and elbows.
October 01, 2010 11:09PM
As i said earlier MicheleC. What operating system are you running? If windows then you can run any web server etc just like a normal pc. If its linux then you might have more difficulty as netbook versions of linux are usually very stripped down to accomodate the smaller hardware specs. But technically speaking linux is where apache and mysql run best so with a bit of tweaking thats probably also do-able!
Mac
October 02, 2010 10:21AM
A linux version for XAMPP is available.
October 03, 2010 01:02PM
Firstly - yes - I apologise - my reaction was unnecessarily harsh. I was just miffed at having a bunch of opinions dumped on me, when all I wanted was a technical answer.

I have not actually purchased a Netbook as yet. I went and had a browse at Incredible Connection to see what netbooks are all about.

They mostly seem to come with a modified version of Windows 7 and a variation of processors - none of which I've seen being use on a laptop, so I was uncertain as to whether those differences would impact the install and operation of XAMPP.

The Apache friend’s website makes no mention of use with Windows 7. I've also searched the site about using a netbook and found nothing useful about using XAMPP on a netbook with the windows operating system. I doubt I would use Linux as an operating system - I don't know enough about Linux to venture down that path as yet.
October 04, 2010 06:31AM
Well as far as windows goes they strip it down to make it use as little resources as possible so that its fast on the netbook. But functionality wise windows 7 will run the same as a standard copy on a normal pc. I obviously havent tested this but im pretty much 100% sure that xampp should run fine on windows 7 for a netbook. on a sidenote, im running xampp on normal windows 7 and it runs flawlessly! The only tip i can give is, if you use skype make sure its off when you run xampp as for some reason skype uses port 80 and xampp apache wont start because of this. Well on my machine at any rate, other than that it runs flawlessly on windows 7!

Hope this helps!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login