Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lessons 1 - 5, all tasks completed

Posted by Ruan Smit 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Lessons 1 - 5, all tasks completed
August 25, 2010 08:16AM
I have finished lessons 1 - 5. Struggled a bit with the Cookies and forms, but eventually got it working!!!
Re: Lessons 1 - 5, all tasks completed
November 08, 2010 07:18AM
I was checking to see whether my project was received in good order (haven't received any message yet) when I realised I had completely forgot to update my forum postings...! Instead of consulting the forum everytime, I worked through the lessons and made comments in my study guide... The web proved to be a big help with some of the lessons (can't believe there are so many forums out there).

This course was a real eye-opener as I have never programmed before (not that web development is the same thing).

Regarding the tasks, the course educates you about some of the most common elements of PHP, which I like, but I realise this is only the tip of the iceburg when reading though the reference book I got for the course (a Wrox textbook on PHP):

- Lesson 1: nice introductory tasks, gives you a feel for the language, had no problems when doing the tasks
- Lesson 2: now that I have done the project, I would actually like to go re-test some of the basic functions I didn't use in the project, like the unset function and Switch statement. Lesson 2 introduced an error I would see a lot more of in the coming tasks. I used the $_GET function which in many cases called the data I needed

(e.g. Task 2C-1)

Language: PHP
<?php function total ($price,$items) { $cost = $price * $items; return $cost; } echo "The total price of your purchase is $" . total($_GET["price"], $_GET["items"]); ?>)

- Lesson 3: Task 3B-2 - I did encounter an error - undefined variable. Solved this by changing if(!dir) to if(!isset($dir)) which seemed to solve the problem.
- Lesson 4: I also received errors of undefined variables - in all cases, I used e.g. $firstname=$_POST["firstname"]; so the values would be called.
- Lesson 5: Discovered the missing $_COOKIE function; after that no new problems
- Lesson 6: Had a couple problems with parse errors.. but yet the get the hang of it after a while... This lesson was a great help with the assignment.

Overall, an interesting course... Will definitely be experimenting more on my own.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login