Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dreamweaver

Posted by Peterf 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Dreamweaver
May 07, 2010 09:13AM
Hi Mac,

Thanks for the advice on purchasing the dreamweaver book, will then definitely order it through amazon if it means it'll work out cheaper.

Peter
Re: Dreamweaver
May 07, 2010 10:59AM
I have no problem ordering through Amazon, just worried about delivery time. I know it is my own fault for not ordering much earlier.

I see Exclusive Books have the Dreamweaver CS4 Bible available for R502.
May 07, 2010 11:27AM
Hey Nadia,

I checked it out on Amazon....and it really does seem much cheaper, its about $31 & about R236 if im correct...not sure what the shipping costs are though or of how long it takes.

Though i thought it will be even better if i can order this book AND the PHP book for the next course & have them shipped down together...maybe saving on both the book cost & shipping costs?

Peter
May 07, 2010 11:46AM
The shipping for Amazon seems to be a few weeks and we just dont have that much time. By the way, Exclusive Books do not have that Dreamweaver CS4 Bible in stock anymore. I am now thing I should try any of the other books they have available just to get started, three weeks to learn the software AND do the website seems a bit short already. Any other suggestions before I make the leap and buy the wrong book?
May 07, 2010 01:26PM
Dreamweaver CS4 is not available for free download anymore as CS5 has been launched. I tried a few sites, but they all just redirect to CS5. Any help?
May 07, 2010 02:09PM
I just discovered this too...now im thinking...should we buy the most updated/recent CS5 book instead?
May 07, 2010 03:10PM
The problem is that the book is not available yet. I am busy downloading a file that looks like CS4,here is the site: http://www.fiberdownload.com/Transfer/Adobe-Dreamweaver-CS4/18417 , it is just taking very long. If it works I am going to buy the best manual I can get my hands on at Exclusive Books and use it to at least complete my assignment. Then if I am happy with Dreamweaver I will consider buying the latest CS5 and hopefully the book will be available. I just cannot waste any more time trying to find the preferred manual in SA. My own fault for thinking I am going to stroll into a book shop and buy it from the shelve.
May 07, 2010 03:46PM
We dont have to use dreamweaver for the assignment though....you can just use the plain old text editor....the dreamweaver lessons are just to enhance or broaden our skills.
May 10, 2010 11:57AM
Hi Peter

Just to let you know, I found the green Classroom in a Book at Exclusive Books. Even though they said they did not have it when I phoned, I just happened to see it on the shelve while I was looking for an alternative. Started today and I am already liking it, a lot less code writing. Good luck to you.
May 10, 2010 02:36PM
Hey Nadia,

You're lucky!... i've on the other hand ordered the Dreamweaver CS5 bible on amazon....but im sure it'll be well worth the wait as well...i was told it has just about everything there is to know about dreamweaver.
Where have you downloaded the trial version of CS4 from?
The book that you've purchased, is it the one with about 200 & odd pages? cause someone told me they might be able to get me that book as well in the meantime....
May 10, 2010 03:09PM
The link for the site where I got CS4 is in a previous post, just scroll up. It took about 3 hours to download and even then I had to download software to decompress as winzip did not work. Luckily all was free. The book I have has 270 pages and looks like the one on the Unisa site. I will probably buy CS5 and all the manuals after my course is completed, no point in buying CS4. But for now the trial version will do for my project.
Mac
May 10, 2010 03:16PM
Just a friendly warning..... While Dreamweaver makes things easier, you still need to know how the engine works. You can't work in WYSIWIG all the time without understanding the source code.Well, theoretically you can but trust me today - there will be plenty times when you need to fix things source-side to get it just right. Do not fall in the trap of not having to code! I use Dreamweaver myself, but hardly ever use the WYSIWIG side. The value of Dreamweaver lies outside the WYSIWIG interface - it has many other functionalities that makes your job easier (that is where the DW Bible comes in!)

Some of these functionalities are also present in KompoZer (do a Google search) and Pagebreeze - probably the best of the free WYSIWIG editors you can get. Beats the price of Dreamweaver until you are ready to use it as intended.
May 10, 2010 04:29PM
Hi Mac,

Do you maybe know whether students would be required to purchase a book for the PHP course for the next semester?

& if so, which book would you recommend as the best?

Lastly will it count against me if i do not use dreamweaver for my 3rd assignment? I plan on only making use of the basic text editor & doing the html coding myself....then practice dreamweaver afterward as there's 1 month free between the end of this course and the begininng of the PHP course?

Thanks.
Peter
May 10, 2010 05:21PM
Thanks for the warning Mac, I will keep it in mind.

I would like to get the DW Bible if I decide to buy DW5. Will it be useful to do an extra DW course after this course? Or should I be able to gain a lot of knowledge using the DW4 Classroom in a Book?

Thanks for all the useful advice.
Nadia
Mac
May 11, 2010 09:09AM
DW not a requirement at all.
PHP has a book that you must buy - see the CENSE website.
May 11, 2010 09:21AM
Thanks again Mac and goodluck with the assignment Nadia.
Anonymous User
May 12, 2010 04:17PM
I have dreamweaver cs4 the only book in stock i can find is the cs4 digital classroom? is this book fine? or should i wait to get classroom in a book? or is it the same? please let me know asap as am getting stressed about starting this late.. thanks
February 16, 2011 01:16PM
What is the difference between the Dreamweaver CS5 edition and the student and teacher edition? Will the student edition be sufficient for the CSIW1DT course?
I've found this link for the Dreamweaver e-book. Is this a good option to buy or is it better to buy the printed book?

http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/16711005/Adobe+Dreamweaver+CS5+on+Demand/description/
June 19, 2015 03:43PM
Hi

Can one use Dreamwaever or wordPress for the course intro internet and web design.
apart from using pageBreez..?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login