Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The irony cup runneth over.

Posted by sleek 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
The irony cup runneth over.
October 13, 2006 03:16PM
Hmmm, i'm sure we all know the word consistency well.

Haven't seen any here...

Nice 20% of the exam with those diagrams. I wonder if there has ever been diagrams in a INF305 exam.

I failed it.
Re: The irony cup runneth over.
October 13, 2006 03:38PM
You are not alone, I also failed. Just gave up.

October 13, 2006 03:41PM
Yeah, that happens smiling smiley

I'm not gonna blame anyone/anything but myself.

Didn't study enough, have a hectic exam schedule tho, but again, not an excuse.

Hope the other guys are enjoying themselves, i'm gonna take an hour or two, hit some golf balls, calm down. smiling smiley
October 13, 2006 04:15PM
I've never been good at memorising stuff.

So how much do you need to get a supp? (Not that I ever want to open the text book again) yawning smiley
October 13, 2006 04:16PM
Between 45 and 50 if i'm not mistaken, not really easy.
October 13, 2006 04:20PM
I think the chances of me making that is highly unlikely. I thought cos and inf modules were different though. Can't find information about it anywhere.
October 13, 2006 04:21PM
eye popping smiley WHAT THE #$%#$^#$^ WAS UP WITH THAT EXAM?

I can't believe that they would TRY and catch us out...

I wonder how many people have photographic memories to remember the 55 "points" that was asked in question 1...

What does this mean:

"This will include multiple-choice and short-answer questions"

Surely you could expect at least 1 multiple choice question?

Well, I hope the lecturers feel good now that they've managed to screw us like that...

angry smiley but also sad smiley

Oh well, COS321 (Operating systems) is up next...no use in sulking...

P.S. What is a Context diagram?
October 13, 2006 04:25PM
I got 321 too, and a nice accounting module on monday, Yay!
October 13, 2006 04:33PM
glad i'm not the only one who found that just unbelievable. it's not even about not being prepared, i had dozens of lists in my head, just not the ones that came out! was that testing our "understanding"?!

And what's with the idea of making us write in 2pt font to fit into those tiny lines? It's hard enough to remember how to use a pen at all!
Glad that's over, and praying i don't have to repeat though i probably will.

sigh.
October 13, 2006 04:41PM
Im also in the same boat as everyone else.

was the crappiest exam ever for me !!!!

Whats marks you need for a sup ?
October 13, 2006 04:42PM
Any idea how we can complain about the exam? and to whom?

Then again, who understands the "black box" that is Unisa!
Anonymous User
October 13, 2006 05:18PM
they said ther'll b mcq & short quests in the tutorial.. where the f*** was the mcqs? why did they send us last year's paper when this one is of another level & another format?! why did they test us with diagrams when its an overloaded theory module & when diagrams were already examined last year? why they didnt tell us more about the paper format?

my last question will be whats the marks for a supp??

i got the message: unisa's dangerous this year!
happy friday 13! drinking smiley
October 13, 2006 05:22PM
Hi, Glad to know that i'm not the only one... It was really unfair not to have any multiple choice questions, as all the assignments were mcq, and the exam tutorial letter mentioned the mcq + short questions.
It is impossible for intelligent persons (like BSc Students!!!) to learn like parrots!!! Unbelievable that they ask us to remember all these points...
Good luck for COS321...
October 13, 2006 05:54PM
Wow, got ripped to shreds. Rediculous exam, retarded format. Big grats to whom ever just managed to fail me for the first time in 3 years.
October 13, 2006 06:38PM
There was a question on requirements engineering asking for 6 i can't remember what now. I put Inception, Elicitaion, elaboration, ......... but that list makes 7. Anybody remember what the question was asking. Good luck to all with your other exams, I studied as best i could for this one just all the wrong stuff.
TvD
October 13, 2006 07:32PM
well I did draw up the exam..

(1) If you read the exam letter it would have told you that you will need to draw diagrams:

"This is a case study and you will be asked to apply the theory to the case study description. You will be asked to develop and compare diagrams such as context/data flow/use-case diagrams – see the chapter on analysis models. In addition you will have to apply a web engineering process to the case study."

(2) The MC - most of the short questions were based on your assignments MC - if you knew the origin of the answers for the assignments MC you should have been able to answer the short questions. The alternative - "the exam does not have any MC Q's" - would have meant that you could have ignored completely all four of your assignments for the exam preparation.

(3) 10 marks were given to you before the exam - the pre-prepared Q's from Ch 11 and 12.

So overall I have little sympathy for the complaints - point (1) should have enabled you to obtain at least 35/45 (I have given you the chapter, the diagram types and the WebE process before the exam), and point (3) to should have given you 10/10. To learn the answers for MC Q's without knowing what they mean or where they come from is not the way to prepare for a final year exam.

TvD
October 13, 2006 08:00PM
Well, the question from Chapter 11 was a bit vague, and to be fair even though this was prepared it wasnt part of the syllubus which we were studying. I got the 7 marks from Chapter 12 though.

We were told that there would be MCQ's, and there werent. Thus, the assignments were not representative of the exams in any shape or form at all, which is seriously dissapointing. Especially as we're expected to draw diagrams fresh with no guidance on these at all in prior documentation from our lecturers. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I've seen a level 1 context diagram in the book, I understand where its used, and why, but now you're asking me to draw one, having never drawn one before, and this is going to be a good 10% of my exam? That would have been an awesome assignment question.

I'm not sure what the requirements are for a SUPP, but if I get one then Im pretty sure I will pass.

I had banked on having an overall understaning of the work to be suitable for the exam.

My shortcoming was not being able to properly revise the web chapter, which was around 20% of the exam. And of course commit every list in the book to my immediate short-term memory. I can do that though, so I will next time around.

I remembered every principle from Chapter 5, but alas. I like others remembered loads of lists of stuff, and while i could probably give an overall description of everything, i couldnt list the points of more than a few of the questions.

I'd request assignments that are more representative of the exams. I'd request more understanding of overall concepts as opposed to brain vommiting lists onto paper.

Mark
October 13, 2006 08:05PM
Question 2 was fine no problems there the explanation was clear.
Can you you please tell me what was the prepard question from Chapter 11 that involved how to determine which design notation was better for 3 marks give me a clue as to how it was worded if it was there i never saw it. "Include multiple choice" and "based on multiple choice" mean quite different things to me, why not just say "this exam contains no multiple choice" then everybody would be happy.
October 13, 2006 08:14PM
The question on Chapter 11 was worded differently - i couldnt answer that. If I recall it preceeded the chapter 12 questions but it makes no difference now....I bet very few ppl could answer it. Anyway, time to study on.....
TvD
October 13, 2006 08:25PM
yes I agree that written assignments is a requirenment and I did get a number of voluntary written assignments from A01 to A05.

Anyway we are not monsters and I will take the comments into consideration when marking the exams - I will first discuss, and then consider letting Q2 count more for those students that did not do well in Q1 - as far as I am concerned Q2 is a better test of the academic requirements for your final year than Q1

Quality of design notations is strongly related to choosing between them.

TvD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login