Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unable to run program file

Posted by dskatz 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Unable to run program file
March 28, 2010 02:35PM
2 C:\unisa\cos340\2 unable to run program file.

This is when i run the first example program on the disk.
I get the above error after following all the instructions for installing minGW and DevC++ on the disk.
can someone please advise?? i am using Windows 7 and i have also tried running C++ in compatibility mode "Windows XP SP3"
Re: Unable to run program file
March 29, 2010 09:28AM
have you tried making your source file .c instead of .cpp (opengl is basically C). try using a different IDE. I had tonnes of hassles with DevC++ and OpenGL, but I set up VC++ to use opengl and had no big problems I could not sort out like with DevC++ (I used VC++ for the sake of interoperability... Microsoft IDE on a Microsoft OS...)

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit and 64-bit.... no problem with compiling or running programs.
March 29, 2010 03:22PM
Hi,
I tried your advice of making it a .c file but this did not work (surprise!)
how would i go about setting up VC++ to use OpenGL?

THnx in advance!
March 29, 2010 03:38PM
pretty easy... you'll have to download the opengl files

look here http://csf11.acs.uwosh.edu/cs371/visualstudio/

you may skip step 3... it's not neccesary

on windows 7 the files still go under windows\system

and now you can use spaces in your directory stucture... non of this cr@p of "file not compiled" due to spaces in your path...

also, under Tools-> options, go to all languages, tick line numbers under display (makes it easier to debug your code)

AND most important!!!! under Tools-> options got to Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories add: $(SystemRoot), $(SystemRoot)\System32 and $(SystemRoot)\System32\wbem. otherwise you might have an error about cmd.exe.
May 22, 2010 02:40AM
Hi dskatz

My rig is a Win7 64 bit, 8gigs ram etc...

There's is a few things I did that got the compiling working, though I do wish the the lecturers fix the installations.

Do the stock standard installation as instructed in the Disk.

Now does these steps.

1) Right click on the devcpp shortcut on the desktop, and set the compatibility mode to run in WinXP SP3.
2) Open Devcpp, on your menu select Tools -> Compiler options -> Directories -> Binaries tab and make sure that it contains [c:\unisa\mingw\bin] folder in it.
3) Close Devcpp.
4) Goto your C:\unisa\mingw\bin directory copy and paste your mingw32-make.exe file.
5) ONLY Rename your copy of mingw32-make.exe to gmake.exe.
6) Open devcpp, create a new opengl and test.

And these changes should hopefully correct your problems as well.

Prakash
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login