Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam Post-mortem

Posted by SCag 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
November 10, 2010 04:21PM
I thought the exam went really well. I will probably get a distinction.

I had seen all the questions before from assignments/past assignments.

The calculation material is all easy.

The only thing I didnt know too well (because I didnt go over it), was the last question about packet/message/circuit switching. But then I should know that from the 2nd year networking course. I could only remember that circuit switching was efficient and everything about packet switching. So atleast 6 out of 18 for that grinning smiley
November 10, 2010 05:04PM
Exam was great, most questions were from past assignments. I only stumbled on the P4 request (2 marks) and I kind of wrote down a mixture of guesses and facts for the last question not a big fan of essay questions...

But still, best exam of the lot so far.
One more exam left! smiling smiley
Re: Exam Post-mortem
November 10, 2010 05:11PM
I think I was smiling from ear to ear when reading through the paper. Knew everything on it, so went through it without any concern (except running out of time).

So, it contained:
  1. Essay on Caching and small caching question
  2. Sequencing (SJF, NPP)
  3. Deadlock Avoidance
  4. Page Replacement & Algorithms (FCFS, LRU, Optimal)
  5. File System Algorithms (Contiguous, Linked, Indexed - middle of the file)
  6. Essay on Switching Schemes (Circuit, Message and Packet)

Finished with 3 minutes to spare. Woop woop. 1 to go.
November 10, 2010 05:13PM
Yes I got irritated that in the assignments and exam they ask for a "well structured" essay.
Do they minus marks if it is not well structured? This is computer science, not English literature -_-

Anyway, the mark allocation for the request (P1orP2 wasnt it?) was only 2, so I knew it would fail. They wouldnt give 2 marks for the donkey work of allocating the request and checking if the system is still in a safe state.

So I did the first check of whether the allocation would be above the max for the process, and it would have been, so it failed.
November 10, 2010 05:49PM
Also smiled when I saw the paper. I expected much worse. Think I did really well except for one or two areas where I may have lost some marks.
If all goes well, then this was my final exam for my degree. smiling smiley

Now we wait.
November 10, 2010 07:12PM
hey, exam was great, they should have just asked us to study the assignmentsd that would have saved ton's of late nights and headaches, anyway last one for my Bsc as well, so was a great last exam
Anonymous User
November 10, 2010 07:54PM
I also thought the exam was great smiling smiley I didn't have much time to check if all my calculations were correct, but it doesn't matter, I am really happy with this exam.
November 10, 2010 07:58PM
Two more to go! grinning smiley
November 11, 2010 01:27PM
Ahh, was good to finally have an Exam that was set out as promised, and it was not written by someone who lied about everything.
Last question was the only one I had trouble with, wrote a page of rubbish, but hopefully enough rubbish to get a couple marks.

2 more to go, (3 if you dont count the two EUP1501 as one grinning smiley) then thats me done, never having to deal with UNISA again.
Unless something goes horribly wrong.
November 11, 2010 04:28PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login