Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2

Posted by InSaNiE 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 2
February 17, 2010 05:54PM
Has anyone busy with assignment 2, or has finished assignment 2?

I am in the middle of it, and am struggling quite a bit with a few of the questions. Is there anyone else that is struggling, that maybe wants to compare answers and throw some idea's around?..
ra
Re: Assignment 2
February 17, 2010 06:26PM
I will be starting soon. Ask your questions in the mean time so that I (or anyone else for that matter) know what to look out for when I'm reading and can then help you if I can.
March 03, 2010 01:12PM
Sorry for the long break between my posting - have been busy with other work.

My main question at the moment, is around Question 1, f and g. How do you get the equations to be diagonally dominant? Or do we just run the algorithm on the equations that are not diagonally dominant?

I am sure I will have other questions as I review my answers, some of which I am not convinced that I have done correctly..

Thanks for the input.
March 03, 2010 11:13PM
It is not a requirement for the matrix to be diagonally dominant. It will just make the method converge to a solution faster if it was.
March 04, 2010 09:35AM
Henry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is not a requirement for the matrix to be
> diagonally dominant. It will just make the method
> converge to a solution faster if it was.

Indeed - but they asked for only 3 iterations. And after those 3 iterations, with the matrix not diagonally dominant, I get no-where near the "correct" results that satisfy the equation. It is probably correct that after the 3 iterations a sufficient solution is not reached - it just had me concerned that I had missed something.
Thanks for the input smiling smiley
Anonymous User
March 04, 2010 05:54PM
Word to the wise.... some of the problems will not converge. We had the same one last year and apparently the year before.
March 11, 2010 05:31PM
I'm just struggling with 2 questions:

- Question 3) Anybody know where it's stated in the text book about how to do question 3. I can only find Newton's method with regard to approximating zeros. And what does "in the maximum-magnitude norm" mean? I know what that norm is, but how do I use it with Newton's method???

-Question 6) How big must the Coefficient matrix be, is it 2x2 or just 1 value? If it's 2x2 then the "anwser vector" that uses divided differences should then be 2x1, what values go in the botom part of that vector as there are no x3 values???

Or am I just really complicating the issue?

Please help!!
March 24, 2010 10:27PM
Why do I get the idea that most people do this module twice to pass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login